Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promise Ring

1. Regular Member

Promise Ring

Advertisements
    Hi everyone! I believe my boyfriend is getting me a promise ring before he leaves for bootcamp this December. I was wondering if someone could share their experience with this in regards to when marriage occurred. Did your SO propose to you in the next few years? We're still young, I'm 19 and he's 18. We haven't talked about marriage besides little comments and jokes about when we are. Thank you
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyUSMarine View Post
    Hi everyone! I believe my boyfriend is getting me a promise ring before he leaves for bootcamp this December. I was wondering if someone could share their experience with this in regards to when marriage occurred. Did your SO propose to you in the next few years? We're still young, I'm 19 and he's 18. We haven't talked about marriage besides little comments and jokes about when we are. Thank you
    DH proposed to me just before he left for boot camp. We got married a year later after he was out of C School and at his first duty station. We were both 18 when he proposed and 19 when we got married.

3. Senior Member
    I have never gotten a promise ring. But I have known several friends who did. Their spans between getting that ring and/or getting a real engagement ring and than married ranged from 6 months to never. It will honestly be when you both feel comfortable and when he wants to propose to you and than however long it takes for you to plan your wedding.
  4. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Most of the time when someone I know gets a promise ring, it seems to delay the engagement process to longer than average, which in your case isn't the worst thing since you're both young.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usafgf92 View Post
    Most of the time when someone I know gets a promise ring, it seems to delay the engagement process to longer than average, which in your case isn't the worst thing since you're both young.

an engagement ring is just like a really big, expensive promise ring.
  6. Senior Member
    I like the idea of a promise ring ( I never received one so I can't give you any advice). I think it shows that your BF is serious about your relationship and wants to give you a sign of his commitment. I don't think you can really put a date on the engagement ... just look at it as a step in that direction! Remember, you both are very young and have some obstacles to over come ( boot camp/ new military life/ relationships).... give it time and don't rush an engagement!
  7. Senior Member
    I think I know more people who got promise rings and didn't end up married or engaged to that person than I do who did end up with that guy. I don't really understand them, but if it makes you happy, that's wonderful.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think I know more people who got promise rings and didn't end up married or engaged to that person than I do who did end up with that guy. I don't really understand them, but if it makes you happy, that's wonderful.
    This. The only couple I know who got married following a promise ring also got pregnant so that rushed things. He gave her a promise ring and then 2 months later she was pregnant and he literally stopped at JC Penneys on the way home from the doctor and bought her an engagement ring. They got married a few weeks later and had a wedding after their baby was born.

9. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't really see the meaning in them. Committing to being in a relationship was the promise. It's nice to get jewelry as a gift, but I'll take a pair of diamond stud earrings over a promise ring. DG said she'd never even thought of it and asked me if I thought she should've gotten me one after my best friend got one from her gf and I was like, "Ermmm no. Put the $$ toward the real thing later on." (By real thing I meant engagement ring.)
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    It is different for everyone but as others have stated most people IO know of that have gotten a promise ring ended up not even getting married to the person that gave it.

Now for *me personally* I got a promise ring that DH got me while he was making payments on the wedding band set. I was married within 2 months of getting the promise ring, and still happily married going on 6 years later. I was 20years old when my husband gave me the promise ring, and still 20years old when we got married.. However, then there is my sister who has gotten promise rings twice from two different guys. Neither of witch were relationships that lasted over a year.. She was 18 the first one she got, and around 19 the second one she got.(Every single guy she dates besides 1 has been "the ONE", and then within a year of saying they are "the ONE" she breaks up with them and moves on.)
    Signature removed due to size.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast