Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match vs eHarmony

1. Wine-o
    Wine-o

Match vs eHarmony

Advertisements
    It's been a crazy busy summer for me and things should start calming down over the next few months, so I think once that happens I may be ready to give one of the paid dating sites a shot. I have been using OKCupid and Plenty of Fish for the past few months and while I have had some good dates, most of my experiences have been fit for me to start writing a book on all the disaster stories

So, talk to me about Match and eHarmony... or any other ones that may be of interest. I remember being in college and using Match but for free and trying to get past the filters. Remember how you would slip in your AIM username so someone could contact you without having to pay? So I don't know if that's still a thing or if it is better quality.

My dad and stepmom met on Match about 8 or 9 years ago. We actually talked about it last night and he said he remembered it really starting to go downhill right before he met my stepmom. That you still have to do much of the work by searching for people that meet your preferences, etc... instead of actually matching you?

One of my close girl friends has been using eHarmony for about a year and really hasn't had much luck with it. But she also lives in Delaware, so the pool is much smaller there than it is in Philly so I'm not sure if that may be the main issue.

Anyway, I would love thoughts on either of the sites - pros, cons, comparisons, whatever. I have never ever paid for online dating but I think it may be worth a shot once summer ends and I want to put a real effort into finding someone.

Thanks
    ~Becca~

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I met DF on the unpaid POF so I don't have personal experience with paid sites but my sister has met a few decent guys on eharmony. She's weird and has never dated anyone before ever except for the one guy she dated for a couple weeks from eharmony. A friend of mine was on Match for a while without out finding anyone worth mentioning. Based on those two scenarios I would go with eharmony

I just remembered that another friend of mine met her husband on eharmony. They are a wonderful couple

3. Senior Member
    My husband and I met on match.com, but we both had paid accounts. Honestly, I think you get what you put into it, if that makes sense. From what I remember (it's been 3 years!) is that they'd send you matches and you could also set up a search. For me, I always ignored messages that didn't have more than one sentence or just seemed like they were obviously wanting a hook up. I also ignored people that had nothing on their profile besides pictures. But other than that, I tried to give guys a chance, even if there were a few things that I thought I wouldn't like (ie, super conservative, super into their cars, that kind of thing, haha).

It was honestly the best thing I ever did after my divorce. I gave myself 6 months to just be single, go out with my friends, and really figure out what kind of person I wanted to be with. Then, on my 26th birthday, I filled out my profile and started online dating. I'd been a serial monogomist, so it was fun to go out on dates and talk to a few people at once. I didn't get hung up on whether or not a guy would call me back or wait around for them to make plans. It was super liberating. DH was deployed, and I actually messaged him. We emailed back and forth for 3 months (while I was actively talking to a few other people and going on the occasional date). Once he got back to the US, we went on our first date and have been together ever since. By then, I was in the groove and still in the habit of doing my own thing, so even when we became exclusive, I felt like my own person. Plus, the 3 months we spent emailing really allowed me to get to know him even before the first date.
  4. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Didn't like Match as much as OKC, and was never interested in eHarmony. The men I dated I either met on PoF or OKC. I really, really enjoyed OKC for its format/layout and matching system. Loved it. I met my husband on OKC, and the two previous significant others and others I casually dated.

I had pretty good success and good experiences. I mean, I came across duds and "interesting" people as well, but overall, it was a success and I greatly preferred it to other methods of dating. I had a really long, but really awesome profile. I also had a target audience/niche, so I wrote it in a way that attracted my type, or the people I knew who would "get" it. That was key. It was always a hit with this and even other crowds. I was also pretty selective about my criteria. I initiated contact a lot of the time. I had no problem sending messages to profiles that piqued my curiosity. No sense in waiting around for a guy to message you. Take the lead if you're interested. I initiated contact with my husband. I was pretty picky about messages I received. I took the time to write out thoughtful and genuine messages 95% of the time, and I desired the same. The majority of men in the age range I was searching, 35-43, were high quality and didn't send silly form messages.

This was also how I weeded people out. I also liked to meet ASAP schedules/distance permitting. None of that messaging back and forth for weeks and months on end before meeting. It took three weeks with my husband because I was in the process of moving near the area he lived. I was due to move to Nor Cal in a few weeks and switched the zip code on my profile and started browsing profiles in the area. Only a day or two after the switch I came across his profile at the top of my search results. We were a 96% match with 1200 questions in common, and then I answered a couple hundred more and it got bumped to 99%. Needless to say, we're highly compatible, but the 1% allows for some dissimilarities to make things interesting.

Our first physical date was on Valentine's Day. We communicated daily and Skyped every night until and even after we met. Oh, and I purchased the A-list membership for the last 8 months I was on OKC. I really liked the extra paid features.
    Pax, Aeon
  5. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

My DH and I met on eHarmony. I did both and found that (personally) eHarmony seemed to have less guys looking for "booty calls" and guys who were more serious about a relationship which is what I was looking for. Plus, they had seemed to be a little more interested by having a few more "hoops" to jump through before it got to the free email/communication stage.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

6. Senior Member
    I met DH on eharmony, and I agree that I felt like the men on eharmony were looking for a serious relationship more than other dating sites.

7. Senior Member
    I met DF on match.com after using it for about a month. After that I stopped paying. I also had eharmony at the time but I liked match better because there was a lot more guys to browse through than eharmony which gives you about 5-10 matches a day based on their algorithms.. For me, match turned up more dates and meetings than eharmony.
  8. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Thanks for the insight so far, everyone! I didn't realize eHarmony had steps before you could communicate with people, but I like that idea because then it seems like people are more willing to put the effort in.

SoulCupcake - wanted to touch on your OKC info. I agree with you, I really do like OKC's format and how it works (I could sit around answering those random questions for hours! ) And I keep hoping that I will find someone through there, but it's just not working for me. I have used OKC for YEARS - likely close to 10 years off and on. So I think it may be time to put this one to bed because it just seems like I'm getting the same results over and over. I will have great convos with people but then they disappear. I will suggest meeting up, they have every excuse in the book. I get one word messages. I had a guy bail on our first date once because I wasn't able to respond to his text messages in 5 seconds flat. The list goes on. I think there are great people on there, but a lot of people like the idea of online dating but not actually meeting up with people, etc. So I'm hoping that by doing a paid site, I may get people that are more willing to put the effort in. I mean, I will still keep my OKC profile for sure, but I'm hoping it's a whole different ballgame with the paid sites
    ~Becca~

9. Senior Member
    DB and I met on OKC but we were both looking for casual. That worked out well

ETA: I feel like Match caters to a younger audience. How old are you, OP? I would definitely consider demographic if you're only going to sign up for one.
  10. Senior Member
    OP,I never used any off the those dating sites you mentioned ,however before you sign up for one you may want to read this ,so helpul and hilarious at once Online Dating Tips for Women
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast