Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Wife... advice?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Smile New Wife... advice?

Advertisements
    Hey everyone!

After many changed plans (I'm told this is how the Army operates.. lol), my fiancè and I are set to wed next month! I'm so excited, but extremely nervous. He'll be a newly commissioned officer and off to training quickly after the wedding. I'll be finishing up school about 5 hours away from where he'll be and then his first duty station is OCONUS, with me joining him after my graduation next May. I've lived in the same city my whole life and am basically about to up and move to a new country with my husband for the army life. I'm anxious for it to start, but wouldn't mind a bit of advice in the mean time!

Looking forward to any responses!
    --C
  2. Senior Member
    Where OCONUS? Living overseas can be such a wonderful adventure! Just make sure you know what you need to for the overseas screen and don't leave it for the last minute. It varies by branch, but often some of the stuff you need takes time (like getting a pap smear appointment, and then waiting for the results) so if you don't start early, it can delay the process.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Where OCONUS? Living overseas can be such a wonderful adventure! Just make sure you know what you need to for the overseas screen and don't leave it for the last minute. It varies by branch, but often some of the stuff you need takes time (like getting a pap smear appointment, and then waiting for the results) so if you don't start early, it can delay the process.
    We'll be in Germany! I've had plenty of people tell me they loved being over there.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm in Germany! It has been such a great tour for us. We are in the home stretch now, ad we will have visited at least 30 countries while we were here, many of them multiple times. The travel experiences are like something out of my dreams!
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I'm in Germany! It has been such a great tour for us. We are in the home stretch now, ad we will have visited at least 30 countries while we were here, many of them multiple times. The travel experiences are like something out of my dreams!
    That sounds amazing! Something we really want to get out of the whole army experience is traveling and visiting as many places as we can and Germany is a great spot for making that possible.
  6. Senior Member
    Start saving money now! While you can travel fairly cheaply, it you want to do a lot of it, it adds up, especially if you want to get to places a bit further away.

And make sure both you and your DH apply for tourist passports. You can't travel on the no-fee passport (the on the government give you for free). That's just to get you between Germany and the US. You have to pay for your own tourist passports, but they are required. It is much easier to get them while you are still in the States than to deal with Army passport services.