Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you know he was the one?

1. Regular Member

How did you know he was the one?

Advertisements
    I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but I wanted to know how did you know he was the one? I care about DB dearly and I feel a connection to him that I never felt with another man, but I'm not sure if I'm feeling this way because he's deployed right now or something else. I believe the old adage, Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but this is something else. We compliment one another, share similar views and goals, and we're older, so we both have some life experience under our belts.

Your thoughts?
  2. Senior Member
    How long did you know him before the deployment, and how did you feel about him then?
  3. Senior Member
    For me, this is going to sound really cheesy... But when I met him, it was like this overwhelming feeling came over me. Not as in a "love at first sight" sort of thing but more of a "This person is going to be important in my life". I still remember that moment clear as day even though it has been 16 years. Like literally, I met him and in the instant I met him, it was like a freeze frame. For the actual love part, it took awhile for me to figure it out.

However what you want to be careful of is that you aren't in love with the idea of him... Which can tend to happen when distance plays a role. True love IMO, and it took me awhile to learn this, is when you can see a person with all their faults and annoying habits and love them regardless.... And in turn they can do the same to you.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  4. Senior Member
    TBD
  5. Senior Member
    When unlike my previous two boyfriends he didn't ask me to give up any aspect of my life to be with him. He didn't ask me to leave college and live closer to him, transfer schools, change majors or career paths, he didn't ask me to change anything. He actually wished me well, sent me flowers to wish me good luck on a then upcoming semester. That was how I knew. To me, him not wanting to give anything up made me want to give it up and be with him. Though I don't feel like I ever lost anything in the process.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

This sounds moronic, but for us, we both knew at first sight. Like legitimately, by the end of the evening (we met at a concert), we both knew that the other person was "the one". We had a lot of work before us to grow into a mature, loving relationship, but it was worth every step. We have a great marriage now and we're best friends
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    When he told me not to hide any aspect of me and meant it. I have gone through a lot since he and I met and got together and I'll be honest it humbles me every time I think about it, because my last few ex's didn't handle any of it.
  8. Moderator

Oh, I totally knew when I first met him that there would be something special between us. It took me a little bit to open myself up to it, especially coming out of a marriage that ended after a decade.

But, my husband, I've just adored him since day one. When we met and I got to know him...his morals, values, how hardworking he is, I knew he was the one. He doesn't complete me, he doesn't fill a void. He enhances my life, in all aspects. He brings a joy to my life that I have a hard time describing. He has stood by my side through some really tough battles, especially health wise. I've stood by him through his deployments and career choices. But, his love has never faltered and vice versa. I've never had to wonder where I stand with him. Since the very beginning, he has been an open book. He communicates his feelings well, so I've never had to guess.

Like a previous poster said, sometimes it's easy to fall in love with the idea of someone, especially when they are deployed. I would just make sure that you love him for who he truly is, not just the idea of him.
  9. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

For DH and I it was a slow process rather than knowing right away. We met in college and we were best friends all through school, never dated or were involved romantically. I was always attracted to him and we always had a lot of fun together and shared everything but we always dated other people. He graduated a year before me and went into the Navy and my college boyfriend and I broke up after I graduated school. DH and I kept in touch and I think it was during that time that we realized that we really missed each other. He came home for a rather long leave period before checking into his ship in San Diego and we were inseparable during the month he was home and started a romantic relationship and decided to do LDR. Two years and one deployment later we got engaged and then married a few months after that.

For us it was a slow burn rather than a wildfire, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.
  10. Senior Member
    If you're looking for reasons to believe he's the one, he isn't.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast