Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long before engagement, thoughts?

1. Regular Member

Love How long before engagement, thoughts?

Advertisements
    How long did you date your SO before getting engaged, or what do you think is a good time period to wait? DB and I are not to that point yet, but just for future reference
    I dated my ex for 8 months before getting engaged; I've heard of people dating for as little as two weeks, and more than 6 years...thoughts??
    If my heart had wings I would fly to you and lie beside you as you dream if my heart had wings
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You're going to get a wide range of answers here because everyone has different experiences and/or thoughts on when it's "right". It's very specific to the people and the circumstances, IMO

I never had a "timeline" on when I thought things should happen. I don't think I could handle pressure put on myself or our relationship to hurry or wait for a certain time.

We dated for 1.5yrs before getting engaged and then another 1.5yrs to get married. I was happy with how our relationship progressed during this periods and don't regret or second guess our timing.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DH and I were together 4 months before he proposed. There isn't a timeline it depends on each relationship. Some people just know. Others aren't ready for that big of a commitment.
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I don't think there is a set "timeline". DH and I were together over a year when we got engaged, but then got married 4 months after he popped the question!

To me, its just when the both of you are ready for that commitment.
  5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    It's just whatever works for you. Like you said some people waited only weeks and some others it takes years before they are ready to tie the knot.

For DH and I we started dating/became exclusive in September. Were engaged and moving in together by around that Christmas. Then married by that following January on the 11th. So we didn't take long at all to make that step, and we're working on 5 years of marriage now.
    Signature removed due to size.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    You're going to get a wide range of answers here because everyone has different experiences and/or thoughts on when it's "right". It's very specific to the people and the circumstances, IMO

I never had a "timeline" on when I thought things should happen. I don't think I could handle pressure put on myself or our relationship to hurry or wait for a certain time.

We dated for 1.5yrs before getting engaged and then another 1.5yrs to get married. I was happy with how our relationship progressed during this periods and don't regret or second guess our timing.
    Very true, I figured that would be the case, but it's fun to hear everyone's opinions/stories Guess it's best to go by what you both are comfy with, and not a set timeline, because that does strain the relationship.
    If my heart had wings I would fly to you and lie beside you as you dream if my heart had wings
  7. Senior Member
    DB and I have talked about getting married someday but haven't set a firm date. For us it'll probably be just before we decide to start a family. I think a good time period to wait is when you are sure this is the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with, at a bare minimum. I think that varies for people.

I'll add however that my opinion on marriage probably doesn't mean much. I've never been married, and don't really care that much about the ceremony, or being married anyway. It's more important to our families than to either of us. DB has been married before, and now divorced. I was with a former partner for seven years, and had thought it was going to be forever but people don't live forever. If I'd been married there would've been some tax breaks and I'd now be a widow, but my former partner would still be just as gone. It wouldn't have changed how I felt.
  8. Senior Member
    We were dating 2.5 years and engaged 1 year.

I wanted to be graduated college before I got married so that is mainly the reason we waited. I don't regret it at all.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We were together almost three years before we got engaged and we lived together for six months before he proposed. Got married a year after that. I'd say that within the first year we both were in the relationship with the intent to be married eventually.

I had a couple decently serious relationships before DH and looking back I did not have a solid idea of who those men really were and what a life with them would actually look like until about two years together. That was my experience. And thank goodness I didn't marry one of them, even though at the time I really was in love. That's just my experience.
  10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Get engaged when it works for you! I'm totally not fo waiting until after a designated period of time to get engaged, that just seems so weird to me.

DH and I got engaged after being in a serious, monogamous relationship for 8 months. Part of that time was while he was deployed though (we got engaged on his R&R) so I can't say that we would have gotten engaged earlier or later than 8 months if he hadn't deployed

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast