Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 5 year wedding?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

5 year wedding?

Advertisements
    The original plan for DH and I was to have a big wedding for our family, the military got in the middle and ended up sending him to Iraq and he would be there on our planned wedding date. We decided to get married before he left and did it by ourselves at the courthouse. We had always planned to have a big wedding shortly after he got back but we bought a house and life got in the way. DH has been asking about a vow renewal in Hawaii for our 5 year anniversary next August and I don't know if I want to do it or not. Is it stupid since we're already married? It's too early to do that isnt it? I get where he is coming from but I'm not sure I want to throw down a few grand for a renewal yet...maybe in 6 more years or something but not now?

What is your take on it?
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    In 6 years, you wont want to throw down a few grand either. Life always gets in the way of spending money for fun. There are always other expenses that will be there in 6 years- house repairs, kids camp, new car etc... Sometimes you just (if you can afford it obvi) throw down money for fun. Is it what you want? If so, and you can afford it, do it, because later you might not. If its not something thats deeply important to you anymore, save it for something else.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    In 6 years, you wont want to throw down a few grand either. Life always gets in the way of spending money for fun. There are always other expenses that will be there in 6 years- house repairs, kids camp, new car etc... Sometimes you just (if you can afford it obvi) throw down money for fun. Is it what you want? If so, and you can afford it, do it, because later you might not. If its not something thats deeply important to you anymore, save it for something else.
    Agreed. If it's not something that is super important to you anymore, don't do it.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Just a personal thing, I am so glad I had my big wedding, even though we could really use some of that money now. A party with all my best friends and family, the beautiful dress, the pictures and memories I have forever, all the little moments, like giggling with my MOH as she dressed me, or the best mans speech- I am so, so glad I had my big wedding. Even though we spent far too much money on it, I regret none of it. It was important to me.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

You guys are right, if its important to one of us we should do it. I've always felt somewhat jipped in the wedding department so I think this would make up for it!! Plus we will be living in Hawaii and what better place to have a beach vow renewal then there?! I feel like we are such a different couple than we were when we first got married so we should celebrate that.

Plus I love me some parties
  6. Senior Member

I saw if he wants one and you are ok with it then do it!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I say do it. Something is always going to get in the way, and if it is important to either of you, you (either of you) might regret not doing it.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Agree with PPs. If its important to one of you/both of you and you can afford it, do it! My DH and I did like a JOP and then had a big wedding. I don't regret it at all. I would have regretted not doing one. Plus Hawaii is such a beautiful place

camandcmh, 867-5309, and chicalelo are my sister wives
    Skatie
    is my husker twin GO BIG RED!!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Even if you decide against a ceremony-type thing there is nothing wrong with taking a romantic trip
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

My "big" wedding sucked and was full of tons of crap and is not a super happy day in my memory. DH and I want to do a vow renewal for our 5year as well.