Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love this gift, but don't know what to do with it!

1. Senior Member

I love this gift, but don't know what to do with it!

Advertisements
    DH got me this (actually 2) for our first anniversary today, a paper gift.

It's a gorgeous little journal, and there's another one just like it. The edges of the pages are gilt, and the paper is like super secret recipe. The back of the book says they're famous among authors and journalists and writers. He got me two because he says he knows how much I like writing. I LOVE these beautiful journals. They came from England! They're about 3" by 5"

Problem is, I'm so scared to write in it! They look so expensive, and I've never been able to keep a diary or a journal. When I write so much, it's because I'm writing letters to him because I know someone will read them. I don't want to start writing something in it but then decide it sucks and never write in it again and have it end up like the 5 or 6 super cheap journals I have with 2 pages filled out, but I don't want him to think I don't love it!

What would you write about?
  2. Senior Member
    Can you use it as a sort of deployment journal? Write little thoughts to him while he's deployed and then give it to him at the end? I'm with you, I'd be nervous to use something like that "for me," or I'd be scared I'd start writing and never fill the thing up. When DH was at OCS though, I wrote him religiously, so that's probably what I'd use it for.
  3. Senior Member
    I once kept a journal while DH was deployed and then gave it to him to read when he got home. Knowing it was for him, and that it was in a fancy leather-bound book made me more motivated to write in it every day. Some days, it was just a couple lines, others a page or two.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I like the deployment journal idea! I did that for DH last time and he loved it, or so he says he did .

Another thing if you are the sentimental type is keep it like a memory book, so not something you have to write in all the time but whenever you guys have a special moment or date you could write in it and date it, tape your ticket stubs / little pictures / etc in it. Then you'll have that to look back on. I'm super sentimental though so that probably sounds weird but I have a book I do that in .
  5. Moderator

I know a lot of people who do gratitude journals and I've thought about doing the same. Just something you're thankful for every day. I think my next journal will be letters to my kids.
  6. Regular Member
    You could fill the pages with your favorite inspirational quotes, poems, passages from books, etc.

Or write down little notes about good things that happen to you or especially nice days you have. Similar to the jar idea on Pinterest (where you write down good things that happen to you on scraps of paper, fill a jar with them, and at the end of the year take all of them out and read them).
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Can you use it as a sort of deployment journal? Write little thoughts to him while he's deployed and then give it to him at the end? I'm with you, I'd be nervous to use something like that "for me," or I'd be scared I'd start writing and never fill the thing up. When DH was at OCS though, I wrote him religiously, so that's probably what I'd use it for.
    I could do that! I don't think he'd read it because he's not a big reader. I did a fill in the blanks love book last time he was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I once kept a journal while DH was deployed and then gave it to him to read when he got home. Knowing it was for him, and that it was in a fancy leather-bound book made me more motivated to write in it every day. Some days, it was just a couple lines, others a page or two.
    The fancy-ness will definitely be a motivator for what I decide to use it for!

Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    I like the deployment journal idea! I did that for DH last time and he loved it, or so he says he did .

Another thing if you are the sentimental type is keep it like a memory book, so not something you have to write in all the time but whenever you guys have a special moment or date you could write in it and date it, tape your ticket stubs / little pictures / etc in it. Then you'll have that to look back on. I'm super sentimental though so that probably sounds weird but I have a book I do that in .
    That sounds like a GREAT idea! We have a vase full of ticket stubs right now but I'd love to add little notes to them!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I know a lot of people who do gratitude journals and I've thought about doing the same. Just something you're thankful for every day. I think my next journal will be letters to my kids.
    I thought about that, saving them to be a journal of whenever I get pregnant. That's not for 4 or 5 years though!
  8. Senior Member
    You could use one as an anniversary journal and wrote each year about the previous year and what he means to you each year as it was for your first anniversary. It would show the changes in your relationship and love as you grow through the years. You can also add what you did for your anniversary and the gifts you gave each other. The other thought would be a travel journal for when you travel together
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue1538 View Post
    You could fill the pages with your favorite inspirational quotes, poems, passages from books, etc.

Or write down little notes about good things that happen to you or especially nice days you have. Similar to the jar idea on Pinterest (where you write down good things that happen to you on scraps of paper, fill a jar with them, and at the end of the year take all of them out and read them).
    That's a cute idea, the good things journal!

Quote Originally Posted by roxs28 View Post
    You could use one as an anniversary journal and wrote each year about the previous year and what he means to you each year as it was for your first anniversary. It would show the changes in your relationship and love as you grow through the years. You can also add what you did for your anniversary and the gifts you gave each other. The other thought would be a travel journal for when you travel together
    Oh I love the anniversary journal idea!! I'm so sentimental and that only holds me accountable to writing once a year Thanks!!
  10. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Write letters to yourself. In the future. Or keep a written record of all your favorite memories; anything that makes you happy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast