Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving It Another Try

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Giving It Another Try

Advertisements
    Have any of you broken up with and then gotten back together with a SO and have it work out the second time around?

Why do you think things worked out the second time around?
  2. Senior Member
    I guess I could say that I have, buts don't think it counts. My ex and I sorta broke up twice. But basically went on hours later like nothing had changed, until this last time in like January/ February when we broke up and stayed that way. I started dating, he still thinks there is hope but I'm done, love him as a friend person he's not the one for me. We have two kids together and he's a nice guy, Iwe are absolutely not compatible.

That probably doesn't help you though

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by fallinstar View Post
    I guess I could say that I have, buts don't think it counts. My ex and I sorta broke up twice. But basically went on hours later like nothing had changed, until this last time in like January/ February when we broke up and stayed that way. I started dating, he still thinks there is hope but I'm done, love him as a friend person he's not the one for me. We have two kids together and he's a nice guy, Iwe are absolutely not compatible.

That probably doesn't help you though

It does. I'm not really looking for advice (well not yet at least). exDB says he still wants us to be together but I'm not anywhere ready to think about that as yet. I kind of just wanted to hear others experiences. Thanks for sharing!
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

MF and I broke up, oh, I dunno...8 years ago? ish? After dating for almost 2 years. I went to college and halfway through my first year I went 'hmmm, I am in college and need to fuck around' so I dumped MF so I could explore what else was out there. We were broken up for 6 months, got back together and now we are married. We didnt have any inherent issues, it was mostly I was curious what else was out there and wanted to date around. So I did. No regrets. I had a BLAST dating around.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Several years ago when me and my DH were dating for like 8 or so months I want to say?? We broke up for a few weeks. I believe every relationship goes through some sort of trial at least once where it's like do you really want this, or no? It brought us a lot closer together. And here we are married for several years
  7. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    I personally think that ex's are ex's for a reason. If a guy dumps me, he doesn't get to come back. I don't even talk to any of my ex's anymore, even though I've forgiven them. I also view dating at a higher commitement (ie courting) because I'm not really looking to date around. I didn't grow up that way nor is it really something I enjoy doing.

Alice04, not calling you out , but my ideas are directly opposite of yours. Every relationship does and should go through a or some trials, where you think long and hard about whether or not you want it. But that doesn't mean you leave each other. It would kind of make me wonder how well someone would take the pressure when married, whether they would "leave" or not. IMO if you can't handle the stress and pressure of a dating relationship, how well would you handle the pressures of marriage?

I mean, its going to work out for some people (as seen above!! ) but not for others. This is my personal feelings on the matter.
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My ex before DF & I broke up once, 2.5yrs into dating. Then we got back together within 2 weeks. It didn't work out for us, but we kept dating for another 2 years before he dumped me. I learned a lot from that relationship. If I were thinking about giving it another try, I'd ask the following questions,"Why did we break up? What's different now? In a month, will we slip back into our old habits?" I'd also hit the 'restart' button instead of 'pause/play'. It would have saved me a lot of heart break.
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
  9. Senior Member
    Dh and I dated for six weeks early in high school, then got back together 8 years later (after being friends to some degree or another for those 8 years).

Generally though, I think that in nearly all cases where someone breaks up, there is a reason for that and it seems like it very, very rarely works out (super long term) when they get back together. Unless a ton of time has passed and things have changed significantly, I usually think it is a bad idea.
    Last edited by villanelle; 12-17-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post
    Have any of you broken up with and then gotten back together with a SO and have it work out the second time around?

Why do you think things worked out the second time around?

My husband and I originally dated in high school. I dumped him (he was such a huge nerd!! LOL!) and 23 years later he found me again. We've been married a little over eight years now and everything is wonderful.

Things worked out because we both grew up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast