Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of your relationships began almost instantly as a LDR?

1. Regular Member

How many of your relationships began almost instantly as a LDR?

Advertisements
    I'm just curious how many of your relationships became a LDR either right away or soon after you started dating---however you define dating. How did you deal with it, make it work, etc?
  2. Senior Member
    I met my husband while he was home on R&R from his deployment, so we were long distance while he finished that. And then for a few months when he got back to Hawaii before I moved out there. Then I moved home to finish school, and we've been LDR for about a year and a half now, ending this Friday. (!!!!!)

It's not really that hard for us, honestly. I think it's actually been really good for me because I tend to be really dependent in relationships so this has helped me grow up a lot. And I'm really glad I've had the practice being by myself for our other separation periods. We just talk when we can and spend as much time together as possible while he's home or I'm visiting, and we try to keep each other included in our lives. Like we pretty much tell each other everything we ever do. We'd prefer to be together obviously but this was the right decision for our future and once we got used to it it wasn't that bad. You just have to be committed.
  3. Senior Member
    When DH and I started dating it was immediately LDR. I'm not really sure about dealing with it. It wasn't that difficult. We talked every day and he came to see me as often as he could. That was that.
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

My husband and I were LDR from the moment we started dating, too. We didn't live near each other until we moved in together a few months after we got married.

We dealt with it by getting married. I don't recommend it. It worked beautifully for us but it could have ended very badly with how fast we dived in.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    My husband and I were LDR from the moment we started dating, too. We didn't live near each other until we moved in together a few months after we got married.

We dealt with it by getting married. I don't recommend it. It worked beautifully for us but it could have ended very badly with how fast we dived in.
    I guess we kind of did that too...
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    We werent 'soon' after we started dating, it was 11 months later, but we were in HS when we started, so it was very different than adults dating. We had curfews and lived at home

As for how to deal? Well, we've been doing it almost 9 years. We just do. It wasnt hard for us. We are very good at communication as well as a lack of (due to my schooling, his work, deployments etc..), and we trust each other. Basically, we have no other options besides LD, so we make the best of it.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I guess we kind of did that too...
    And me. Also do not recommend this method
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Mine! We dealt with it by putting lots of miles on our cars. 60,000 miles on my car alone in less than 2.5 years. He probably put 70,000 on his... and he was deployed for 7 months of it. We saw each other every other weekend for about a year. Right before he deployed, it became every weekend. Since he got home (May) until now, one of us has made the drive almost every weekend. We've always had a 6 hour drive.

Lots of communication. Sometimes I suck at advice. But it is doable. Now we're married

We were engaged after a year. Then a courthouse marriage a month later (not common knowledge), then a big wedding a year later. We finally just moved in together. And we just had sex on a weekday… who knew how awesome that could be?
  9. Senior Member
    When DH & I met again, we started "dating" then. Met at a NYE Bonfire held by friends of ours that we used to work with. He was on leave for Christmas and home from Alaska at the time. 3 days later he flew back and we talked every single day since that time. We dated LDR until I moved up there in May.
  10. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    DB and I met, began dating a month or so later, then he was transferred to NC from DC about 3 months later We just do it. We both want to be with one another, so our option is to stick the LD out. We make sure to communicate with each other the best we can. It's always a learning process

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast