Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Dating - what does it mean to you?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exclusive; boyfriend/girlfriend

13 37.14%
  • Going on dates; exclusive

6 17.14%
  • Going on dates; not exclusive

12 34.29%
  • Other

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Dating'... what does it mean to you?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

'Dating'... what does it mean to you?

Advertisements
    This is kind of a spin off but moreso something ive thought about befoee. What do you consider dating? An exclusive relationship? Just going on dates and not exclusive? Something else completely?

Its one of those terms that have always confused me lol. For me, it means exclusivity with someone I.e. boyfriend/girlfriend. Which is probably why I've never quite understood casual dating. Just curious to hear others opinions.

Poll!...didn't let me make one
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think of it is as the same as you. My son says he is dating which means the girl is his girlfriend & they are seeing only each other.

I think dating is the newest term for what I called "going around" when I was younger or what others called "going steady." So aging myself here!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Senior Member
    Dating to me can mean anything from casual to exclusive. If you've gone on a couple dates and plan to go on more, you are dating.

I've only ever dated exclusively though. Like we hang out and you're my boyfriend now. I tried to be casual with the last guy I met and oh look, we're married.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What do you want your poll options to be? I can add it to the thread for you.

Anyway ... "dating" to me means "I go out on dates with this person." Nothing more than that. I know it means other things to other people though. If I were exclusive with someone I would say I was in a relationship with them or I was their girlfriend, not that we were dating.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I know casual dating is a thing, but I love monogamous relationships. Also, I've never been in a place/time to date more than one person at a time, but it doesn't sound appealing to me (personally). I think it's all context though. It's different to say "I'm in the dating scene" (casual, multiple people) vs "I'm dating someone" (exclusive relationship). If I said to someone "Oh yea, I'm dating him", I would use other words to clarify if he were my boyfriend, vs "we've been on some dates and it might lead to a relationship".
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I think of it is as the same as you. My son says he is dating which means the girl is his girlfriend & they are seeing only each other.

I think dating is the newest term for what I called "going around" when I was younger or what others called "going steady." So aging myself here!
    Lop my mom says 'going around'. She always says it like its a question though, like is this what I should be calling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Dating to me can mean anything from casual to exclusive. If you've gone on a couple dates and plan to go on more, you are dating.

I've only ever dated exclusively though. Like we hang out and you're my boyfriend now. I tried to be casual with the last guy I met and oh look, we're married.
    maybe that's why I can't quite conceptualize it. I don't think I've ever dated outside of an exclusive set up. I've talked to guys and hung out with them, but once were at the point where we want more, to me its exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    What do you want your poll options to be? I can add it to the thread for you.

Anyway ... "dating" to me means "I go out on dates with this person." Nothing more than that. I know it means other things to other people though. If I were exclusive with someone I would say I was in a relationship with them or I was their girlfriend, not that we were dating.
    Thanks! I was going to put:
    Exclusive; boyfriend/girlfriend
    Going on dates; exclusive
    Going on dates; not exclusive
    Other
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Poll added!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Poll added!
    Thank you!
  9. Moderator

To me, the term "dating" doesn't imply an exclusive relationship. That would be something specifically defined between myself and my boyfriend.

Not that I have one. But when I was "dating" I was seeing multiple people casually and they knew we weren't exclusive.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    All of them.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast