Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dating a divorced man when you've never been married.

1. Regular Member

Dating a divorced man when you've never been married.

Advertisements
    Anyone been in this situation? I know it shouldn't be any different, but I don't know I haven't been in this situation before. He's a great guy, no kids thank god, and he's 100% over his ex-wife. Someone on another forum said that divorced people should only date divorced people, and that rubbed me the wrong way.
  2. Moderator

I'm divorced and DH isn't. If there are no ties to the previous marriage there really isn't a difference. I mean, other than having that marriage in the past... but if he's really completely over it, all good.

So no, I haven't, as a non-divorced person, dated a person who was divorced. But I've been the divorcee and I'm thankful every day that DH didn't care.
  3. Regular Member
    That's great to hear. I don't believe there are any ties besides some money issues, but he doesn't really talk to his ex-wife. I'm just glad me and him are friends at first because there is no pressure to get to know each other. He knows about my personal details and life and doesn't judge me for it. I know about his' too and we're really comfortable around each other.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    ah that's BS.

it doesn't matter, as long as he is not carrying any "marriage or Divorce" baggage it will not matter.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My husband was married once prior to me.... And I had never been married before him.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I was married before (no kids) and DH didn't really have an issue with it. I don't think it's that big of a deal but I know some people do ... I figure that's their choice and if it matters that much to them we weren't going to be a good match anyway.

I don't think there's a one size fits all rule about who should date whom.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I dated a couple divorced guys before I got married and the only difference I could see was that one of them didn't have the distance from his previous marriage to see that our relationship wasn't his marriage. I also think that can happen with someone whose been in a long-term relationship too though. As long as the guy you're dating has the distance to realize this a new situation, new relationship and new person and you're not his ex-wife then you should be fine.

8. Senior Member
    Before I met DH I dated a divorced guy. He got married fairly young right when he got back from his 2 year mission trip and once he started medical school he realized what a huge mistake it was. He didn't have any kids and no baggage from the divorce. Him being divorced didn't change the relationship or make it any different from any other relationship I had been in
  9. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I am divorced and my DH was never married. Other than being more clear about my boundaries on certain things, I don't think there's been too much of a difference. We didn't have kids, so it was more similar to someone getting out of a really long relationships (dating).

I will say this much, when it came to actually getting married again-- I was SLIGHTLY more hesitant to jump into anything again. However, my DH respected my need to wait a little longer than he would've wanted (because he wanted to get married really quick) and in the end it all panned out beautifully.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  10. Senior Member
    I was divorced AND had two kids when DH met me. DH has never been married, no kids and he never had a problem dating me. It did help that my ex is in prison for a while and hadn't been in my life for years. DH never thought divorced people should just stick with divorced people.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast