Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 7 Principles of Making Marriage Work

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

7 Principles of Making Marriage Work

Advertisements
    http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Principl.../dp/0609805797

Does anyone have this book? My psychologist recommended it to me because he thought there was a lot of stuff in there that will help both me and DH deal with some of my mental health issues.

DH actually knew about the author already! He said there is something about how this guy can look at a video of a couple and by their body language he is very good at predicting whether or not they will divorce. Interesting. But apparently the author has been doing a longitudinal study, following some couples for decades, and wrote a book about everything he learned.

Might pick this up on the Kindle, but I'm going to do a bit more research first.
  2. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    John Gottman is FANTASTIC. He is well respected in the mental health community. Myself and a lot of other therapists at my site recommend his books to clients. I read the Relationship Cure book. I'm actually waiting for my supervisor to finish this one that you posted so I can read it. Great stuff!

Oh and his longitudinal studies are insane... he's followed couples that entered his research when they were in their 40's who are now in their 60's and 80's! It's amazing!

www.SnarkyFit.com
  3. Senior Member
    I have a philosophy about books... You can never have enough of them!!

And with Kindle's or other reading devices, you can have lots of them without the extra baggage of carrying around a book.

I've never heard of this author, but my opinion is why NOT buy the book? It's what, $10? Heck, I might buy the book myself!
  4. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

I learned about Gottman in my interpersonal communications class and he's pretty much the most amazing author on books like this

I say go for it. You will learn tons!
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    John Gottman is FANTASTIC. He is well respected in the mental health community. Myself and a lot of other therapists at my site recommend his books to clients. I read the Relationship Cure book. I'm actually waiting for my supervisor to finish this one that you posted so I can read it. Great stuff!

Oh and his longitudinal studies are insane... he's followed couples that entered his research when they were in their 40's who are now in their 60's and 80's! It's amazing!
    Yeah my psychologist was like, over the moon about the longitudinal studies lol.

I think I'll buy this later today.
  6. Senior Member
    That study is actually talked about in Blink by Malcom Gladwell, it's really interesting. I haven't read the book in the OP, but maybe I should!

7. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Soooo I think I want this book now. Ive heard the name Gottman, but not much more than that. Probably mentioned in passing or something. I.... need a Kindle.
    I know what Im asking DH for for Christmas!!