Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Want To Hear Your Engagement Stories!

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

I Want To Hear Your Engagement Stories!

Advertisements
    I don't know if I'm the only one, but it is hard to see anything other than valued time together followed by an engagement eventually when with a military man!

I am currently happily and patiently waiting for DB to come home from deployment which wont be for months. When our relationship started he made it very clear his intentions in life with love, and made it clear his intentions with me. We love each other, and we remain strong and the same as before he left during deployment. I can't help but imagine what it would be like to spend my life with him, and for him to pop the question.

SO LADIES! Tell me your stories! I'd like to hear if any of you have post-deployment engagements, or any engagement for that sort. How you knew he was the one, and what you did to keep the relationship strong and spicy!
    Last edited by Lightning_Lee; 05-11-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: editing
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    We skipped getting engaged & went straight to marriage so I've got nothin'

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I copied this from my post I made when it first happened:

So heres the story:
    MF wanted to do stuff in the city because he lives in J-hell and there is no culture. So he looked up stuff to do here (that should have been tip off #1), and said he wanted to go to the Franklin Conservatory an then the art museum.

So we went to the conservatory, which is like a giant greenhouse with different areas, like the desert, the himalayas, the rainforest etc. So we are walking around, and I know a lot about flowers since I worked in a flower shop for 4 years in high school. So he is asking questions, and I am telling him random factoids. We get to the rainforest, and are at the top of this little lookout, and he says "I have another question for you" and I (totally clueless!) say yes and he says "I love you," *gets down on one knee*, "Will you marry me?'. I cover my mouth and gasp, and ask (so sweetly) 'Are you serious?!?' and he said yes, and, obviously, I said yes!

Here are pics of where it happened and then my ring! It was my grandmas ring- 2.1 carat, flawless (legit), diamond. I love it. I love it so much. He is such a sneaker. And normally he never is! He actually flew to NY 2 nights ago, when he said he was int he field, to talk to first my mom, and then my dad, and then his family.

I am SO happy!

4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    We skipped getting engaged & went straight to marriage so I've got nothin'
    Tell me the story! I would love to hear it! Was it before or after deployment? Tell me!
  5. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I copied this from my post I made when it first happened:

So heres the story:
    MF wanted to do stuff in the city because he lives in J-hell and there is no culture. So he looked up stuff to do here (that should have been tip off #1), and said he wanted to go to the Franklin Conservatory an then the art museum.

So we went to the conservatory, which is like a giant greenhouse with different areas, like the desert, the himalayas, the rainforest etc. So we are walking around, and I know a lot about flowers since I worked in a flower shop for 4 years in high school. So he is asking questions, and I am telling him random factoids. We get to the rainforest, and are at the top of this little lookout, and he says "I have another question for you" and I (totally clueless!) say yes and he says "I love you," *gets down on one knee*, "Will you marry me?'. I cover my mouth and gasp, and ask (so sweetly) 'Are you serious?!?' and he said yes, and, obviously, I said yes!

Here are pics of where it happened and then my ring! It was my grandmas ring- 2.1 carat, flawless (legit), diamond. I love it. I love it so much. He is such a sneaker. And normally he never is! He actually flew to NY 2 nights ago, when he said he was int he field, to talk to first my mom, and then my dad, and then his family.

I am SO happy!
    OMG how creative and beautiful! I love how he planned to ask you questions so that popping the question wasn't obvious! lol HE GOT YOU! how long had you two been together and how long had he been in service?
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Lee View Post
    Tell me the story! I would love to hear it! Was it before or after deployment? Tell me!
    He had just gotten home from his first deployment in Spain. He flew out from CA to my parents house in NC. We stayed there for a few days & then flew to GA to his parents house. Spent the night there & then drove his truck to TX to spend a few days with his grandma & aunts. Then drove from there back to CA where I was going to stay & visit for a month. We spontaneously got married at the courthouse the first or second week I was there. After a month there, I went back to NC for a month to finish up my last month of work & pack. While I was back home, DH signed the lease of the apartment I loved (he told me he was going with this shitbox one I hated because it was cheaper). And then I flew back out to CA. We had a wedding ceremony with family 6 months later. Been married for over 3 years now with a 7 month old son.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    He had just gotten home from his first deployment in Spain. He flew out from CA to my parents house in NC. We stayed there for a few days & then flew to GA to his parents house. Spent the night there & then drove his truck to TX to spend a few days with his grandma & aunts. Then drove from there back to CA where I was going to stay & visit for a month. We spontaneously got married at the courthouse the first or second week I was there. After a month there, I went back to NC for a month to finish up my last month of work & pack. While I was back home, DH signed the lease of the apartment I loved (he told me he was going with this shitbox one I hated because it was cheaper). And then I flew back out to CA. We had a wedding ceremony with family 6 months later. Been married for over 3 years now with a 7 month old son.
    That's amazing! I love hearing these stories because so many times people advertise all the reasons why it won't work rather than all the reasons it will. I'm happy you have your happy ending. I didn't know that girlfriends would be able to stay for a month on base, is that possible?
  8. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Lee View Post
    That's amazing! I love hearing these stories because so many times people advertise all the reasons why it won't work rather than all the reasons it will. I'm happy you have your happy ending. I didn't know that girlfriends would be able to stay for a month on base, is that possible?
    I think it is if you stay at the lodge on base (I don't know if you can for a month) but we were staying at his friend's apartment off base.

9. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it is if you stay at the lodge on base (I don't know if you can for a month) but we were staying at his friend's apartment off base.
    Ohhhh ok, that's what I thought. Well, congratulations on your new son! I'm sure that's a joy to be cherished. Thank you for sharing!
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    i live just outside of tokyo. he lives at yokota.

Love

i actually just got engaged a couple weeks ago

our story is kind of crazy. he's been stationed in japan for just over 8 months and i've been living in japan for the last 7 years. we met 2 weeks after he got here and have been dating ever since. about 5 or 6 months in, we talked about getting married and then around april/may we would occasionally go look at rings together if we were out and about in department stores in tokyo. i told him that as much as i would love him to pick out my engagement ring for me, i also want to wear it every day and if i'm going to wear it every day, i want to love it, so i want to pick it out together. we ended up coming across a ring we both liked on some random day when we just walked through a jewelry store at the mall. i'm a horribly indecisive shopper, so i said i wanted to think about it. we looked at another display area and every ring was "not as nice as the other one" so he said, "then it's obvious you like the other one. let's go get it." and we did! ha!

he held on to the ring until july, when you can climb mt. fuji. he joked once (even before we had the ring) that he had a plan, and since he's horrible at keeping surprises, i asked for a hint and he gave me a "movie trailer" version of his plan, which included climbing mt. fuji together. i climb every year and the fact that he chose THAT as the place to propose to me was just one more sign that he "gets" me and it was so perfect. so once that was out there, we just planned our mt. fuji climb, knowing that the plan was to get engaged on top. we climbed up on a friday with 2 friends, spent the night at the top and woke up at 4:30 to see the sunrise. after the sunrise, hundreds of people were standing around taking pictures in awe of the sun and clouds and the view and he turned around and started talking to me like i was the only person on that mountain. i remember him telling me i probably wanna take my gloves off before he gets started but i hardly remember anything else he said and then he got down on one knee and proposed. our friends were in on the whole thing and were our own personal paparazzi and took a ton of photos for us. i carried a bottle of champagne up in my backpack, so after taking photos and having hugs all around, we popped it open and made a toast in red solo cups (i couldn't find little plastic champagne glasses at the last minute so had to go for the classy solo cup option!) i have friends i know from previous years' climbs that work at the top and they all signed the back of a t-shirt for us with congratulations messages, which was a really sweet and unexpected memento from the trip.

people can't believe we a) picked out the ring together and b) *planned* the proposal! but it worked for us. we are constantly reminding each other that it's our relationship and our love and it doesn't matter how we're "supposed to" do it or what everyone else does. we just keep doing what works for us. <3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast