Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Married During AIT

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Neutral Getting Married During AIT

Advertisements
    My SO and I had planned to get married after bootcamp and befoe AIT cause we thought he would get a break. Well I am hearing from everyone Army doesn't get a break. WEll we really want to get married ASAP esp before AIT is over, cause we want to be able to live together as soon as AIT is over. My question is would I be able to go to Virginia (where his ait is) and marry him over the weekend? We would just want a courthouse wedding but I believe they courthouse isn't open on Saturday or sunday, so by the time he is done with school for the day would we have enough time to go to the courthouse. Any advice or information would help!!
    Thank
  2. Senior Member
    What's the rush?
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    We have been together for 5 years and have always talked about it but never had the money and now we do, and also iwant to be able to live with him as soon as possible.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    What's the rush?
    Yeah... if its because of you wanting to be on his orders, that isn't a huge deal. It might just be easier to wait to see what his duty station is going to be. Not to say doing a courthouse wedding is difficult just... don't see the need for such a rush.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    i would wait, until he's finished with ait. if you do, then you'll have plenty of time to get everything done. honestly, you don't want to be cramming everything into one day/weekend. it's possible. i got into deers and all of that jazz, but dh was given the time to do so with me, when i got there, after he checked into his unit.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I would suggest looking up the 'rules' for VA for the county he is going to be in. See what you need to do be married in VA if you are not VA residents. Living with him isn't a big deal, you can always go to his duty station and get married there. Even if you wait until after AIT to get married, his orders will have already been cut and then its going to still be a process.

TBH, whether you get married after AIT or at his duty station, its the same thing.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Yeah I am also just worried because I have heard a lot of people that have his MOS get stationed in Korea... esp the ones that are not married. I really don't want him to get sent there..
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Ok, Korea can either be an unaccompanied short tour (one year and no family), or a 3 year long tour.

Even if he gets orders and you get married before he goes you can follow later. It won't matter if you get married during AIT and put on his orders, you will still have to do the screening and such to go over there.

To my knowledge (and things could have changed) they do very many accompanied tours to Korea, they are almost always unaccompanied.

Him being married (or not) will have nothing to do with his orders. If they need him in Korea they will send him, married or not.

9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Ok, I have heard no wives or family are allowed in korea, is that true? I mean if im allowed there I would go... I just heard no one non military is allowed there.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunihamham View Post
    Ok, I have heard no wives or family are allowed in korea, is that true? I mean if im allowed there I would go... I just heard no one non military is allowed there.
    Depends on what you mean by 'allowed'. Anyone can go to Korea but you would go non-command sponsored. Which means as far as the military is concerned you aren't there and aren't supposed to be there. That means you can't be seen at base hospital (unless there is availability). You can't live on base (he may or may not be able to, depends on command). You can get on base to shop but basically, if something tragic were to happen (like a base shutdown) you're husband would be forced to remain on base, and you cannot go with him.

Its not very common to get accompanied orders to Korea (accompanied means take family with).

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast