Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S/O Meet the parents

1. Senior Member

S/O Meet the parents

Advertisements
    Spin off of all these meeting the parents threads!

Have your in-laws met your parents?

My parents haven't met DB's mom and dad. They did meet his Grandmother at my high school graduation party a few years back, when DB was having a rough time getting along with his mom and dad. I kind of wish we would have all gotten together before he went to Basic, honestly. But DB and I both don't like giant gatherings so it didn't make sense to do. There haven't been many situations for them to be in one room together and, to be honest, they are complete opposites. His family is loud, affectionate, and very southern. Mine is quiet, emotionally reserved and very Oregonian.

How has this gone for everyone else?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My mom met DH's parents while we were dating. Katy and I had gone to spend Christmas at their place and they invited my mom up for Christmas day/dinner. They actually see each other now and then outside of when we are there to visit as they only live a few hours apart and there have been times one or the other has needed help, wanted to get together, etc. They are pretty similar people.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Yup. I don't even know when they started talking to be honest... they just kinda dropped it on me like, "oh I was talking to DB's mom today...."

So they've been talking online for a while but there was a weekend where my brother was looking at a school in Philly (DB's parents live right outside of Philly) so my parents and my brother stayed with them for the weekend. they said they were like long lost best friend's or something.
  4. Senior Member
    They've met my mom. She's been to a few parties they've had plus she came over MILs with me once or twice. My dad, isn't married to my mom and isn't really involved too much so no he hasn't. And we eloped so thy wouldn't have met at our wedding.
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    The day before we got married.

life's a party, rock your body
  6. Senior Member
    Yes. The first time his parents visited CA, I told my parents and asked them to cook Filipino food for DH's dad and something without seafood for DH's mom. I think it was sometime around/after 1.5 years of dating. My family is very traditional/conservative and his family is not. But we are both very close and love spending time with our family members, and our families love our spouse, so it works out great.

DH's family has visited a couple times and I always invite my family for one day just to see each other. My parents also want to visit UT and see their town and the national parks and do the tourist thing. That hasn't happened yet, but both sides are excited about it.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    The night before we got married.
    I think once an engagement/wedding goes down, they will totally meet and they will make a movie about it.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    MIL & FIL flew to MN for 5 days specifically to meet my parents before the wedding. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to meet before it. It went pretty well, my dad & FIL are long-lost twins. My MIL wants to be closer to my mom, but my mom is very reserved and introverted, and MIL overwhelms her. They all listened to me and avoided political topics, thank god, because that would have ended badly. My inlaws are die-hard tea-party-esque conservatives, and my parents are very liberal
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

they've met a few times, they're not bffs but they get a long fine.
  10. Senior Member
    A lot of my family have met DH's family. His family is fairly small he has a mom, dad, grandma, brother, sister, and 2 aunts. My family is insanely large consisting of too many aunts, uncles, and cousins to name. Our families have gotten together for our really big ultrasound, our baby shower, and ODD's birthday party. As well as a few smaller instances. It has never been anything but friendly which is,of course, really nice.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast