Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interracial relationships?

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Interracial relationships?

Advertisements
    Now I know it's 2013, but I do live in the South... let me preface this by saying I'm certainly not wanting to be offensive. I'm just bringing this up because of something I overheard at work yesterday.

Has anyone been in one? If so, do people treat you differently or is it something nobody really cares about anymore?
    Does it change anything if either (or both) of you have kids already?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

personally i could care less if a couple is interracial...but i have a coworker who is from down south and vocally says otherwise....and shes not old so maybe there is more of a distate for it down south?
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I haven't ever but when I worked on the phones in college I had a guy from the south call me to cancel his phone because he was PISSED that the cover of our ad had a black man and a white women holding hands. The racism is still very prevalent unfortunately.
  4. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    I live as south as you can get, and I'm in an interracial relationship. I've only ever been in interracial relationships. To be honest, most people don't care, but they do say things like, "half asian-half black babies are soooooo cute!!!" and in my current relationship, "half asian-half white babies are sooooooo cute!!" I know they're not saying it offensively and they're trying to say it as a compliment, but it's really annoying.

I've only ever come across one person who objects to my relationship with DB, but she's a jealous wench so idgaf what she thinks.
  5. The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    Blog Entries
    It's hit or miss with other people. Usually it's not a big deal at all and no one says anything, but ill never forget when we went out to dinner last year and this African American mother, her teenager, and the grandmother made some very rude comments.

Pm me if you need to chat about it :-)
  6. Senior Member
    I dated a black guy in high school... My step dad flat out told me a black boy could like me but I wasn't allowed to like a black boy. He's in his mid thirties and from seguin, Tx so it does still exist.

7. Senior Member
    I grew up in North Carolina and racism is very much still there in the small town I grew up in. I am white and my husband is black and I can't even count how many times in high school I was called a n*****-lover etc.

I used to notice people treat us differently, but after awhile I just stopped noticing it or trying to figure out when people were because I figured a lot of it could be me being paranoid and I was just judging people thinking they were treating me different just like people were judging me. When my husband got stationed at Fort Riley I was amazed at the number of interracial couples in the military because compared to where I'm from it was so many more. Still my husband had an issue with a guy from Texas he thought was a good friend talking crap about how his cousin was dating a black guy.

When I first started dating DH in high school my parents were accepting but considering where we were from my dad wanted me to think about "what I would do if I ended up having a child with a black man because then a lot of white men wouldn't date me". I found it ridiculous. I told him first, I didn't plan on having kids unless I was married and even I did or ended up divorced that I would never want to be with someone that would judge someone on race anyways.

Ultimately, I think it is definitely not near as bad as it used to be. I think it is a lot more accepted on military bases and in big cities. However, it definitely still exists where I'm from in the middle of nowhere of NC. Honestly, at this point in my life though it doesn't bother me one bit if people are ignorant I just ignore them or don't associate with them. Race is just a social construct with no basis, so I really just feel bad for people that fall for it.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I was in one. We dealt with some judgement, but my immediate family, friends, and most of the general public were cool about it.

Honestly, most of the ugliness came from his family and race
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am in one currently and yes people do. I'm half black and half Filipino and he is a mix of things but can be labeled as white. Thankfully it doesn't bother either of us (obviously lol)...but some people just aren't used to it. His older brother's friend made the comment that "Jonathan can only get black girls" which is definitely offensive IMO.

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, LOVE never fails"
    I Corinthians 13:7-8
  10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    I'm from the northwest and so, while it's completely different than the south, it's all I know. Up there, I never have seen issues with it. I grew up with it being normal. My aunt, who is white, had two children with a black man and that didn't seem to deter future men she dated, having two black kids. So, in the PNW, it's not really an issue, from what I've seen.

Although I feel like my cousin has more "white" in him than black. I tease him all the time about it. We used to call him Carlton when we were younger. haha
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast