Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Would you take your husband's last name?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

126 84.56%
  • No

8 5.37%
  • Maybe

8 5.37%
  • I want both mine and my husband's

7 4.70%
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking your husband's name...

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Taking your husband's name...

Advertisements
    Found this article:
    Why Do Most Women Still Take Their Husband's Last Name?

While I don't necessarily agree with the way in which the author phrases everything in the article I agree with her general argument and do feel that for some women their maiden name is an important aspect of their identity and not something they want to give up. I have never not wanted to take my future husband's last name, but I have considered hyphenating mine and my husband's names (although DB's name is already hyphenated so we have a problem there ) and I want to keep my maiden name for professional purposes (i.e. I'd be Dr. Maiden Name but Mrs. Married Name). I just feel like I worked very hard to get that degree and it means a lot to me for it to be in my maiden name. Also, my dad has three girls so there's not going to be anyone else to carry on the name. I also had a friend say that she wanted to keep her last name because it represented her Jewish heritage (she was marrying a Mexican guy).

So do you want to keep/ have you kept your maiden name? Why/ why not? Do you think your name is part of your identity?
  2. Senior Member
    I was actually kind of sad to give up my last name. I have always identified with it. But, my hubby really wanted me to take his last name, and it's somewhat less common, so it kind of helps me a little too On Facebook, I have it hyphenated. Also, there are no males to carry on the family name, but it is extremely common anyway!
  3. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I love my maiden name. I plan to take DB's last name. Hyphenating them? Nah. It would be too long.
    Pax, Aeon
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Eh, I don't agree that your name is your identity nor do I agree that we are defined by our status role. You can change your name to pretty much anything you want to be called... that doesn't mean it defines who you are. A name is simply that - a name. And I'm married but I'm also not defined by that. I am a wife & mother, yes, but I have a lot to me other than those roles.

I took my husband's name because I feel that is the norm. I wouldn't feel right if I was married with my maiden name. I love my husband (not saying those who keep their names don't) and I enjoy carrying his name but I am no different than what I was before my name change.

I also hate putting both last names together. I don't care if others do it but it's a freakin mouthful & doesn't sound nice, IMO.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Senior Member
    I wish there was an other. In my family it is traditional to drop your middle name and keep your maiden name as your middle name. So I had PLANNED on doing that. But I signed the marriage certificate wrong (Just did Amanda LASTNAME, when I should have signed AMANDA MAIDEN LASTNAME) and they wouldn't let me easily change it.

Socially I go by Amanda MIDDLE MAIDEN LASTNAME. Dropping my second middle name,... but ehh.

Oh well.

EDIT - I was sort of glad to see my maiden name go... it was polish so no one could ever pronounce it.... not even if they tried.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    I wish there was an other. In my family it is traditional to drop your middle name and keep your maiden name as your middle name. So I had PLANNED on doing that. But I signed the marriage certificate wrong (Just did Amanda LASTNAME, when I should have signed AMANDA MAIDEN LASTNAME) and they wouldn't let me easily change it.

Oh well.
    Sorry about not adding other, my brain couldn't think beyond those options lol

Hmmmm that's an interesting way to do things. I don't know if I'd want to drop my middle name though...It's in honor of my grandmothers so it means a lot to me. Maybe add on an additional middle name???
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I LOVE my maiden name but I love having DH's last name too. I'm pretty traditional when it comes to marriage honestly so I don't think I'd ever consider (for me) not taking the name of my husband. Though whenever I'm back in my home town (as I am right now for a visit) people call out my last name, I am from an extremely small town with a HUGE extended family. Everyone here knows our family so they still call me by that name .
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    If MF had married me after vet school I was not going to change my name. I already would have my license and my diploma (which, if you ever go to a doctors office, you know its all over the place) in my maiden name and changing all that is a bitch and mostly, expensive. Plus, my last name is AWESOME. It is a very traditional, easy to spell and pronounce, english last name. Like 'Michaelson' or 'Davidson'- easy peasy. And it begeins with a D so I could be Dr. D.

But, it was important to MF that my name be his name, so we are getting married before I graduate so I will take his name.

Sucks cuz his name is some (sorry) HORRIBLE polish name that people cant pronounce. Just awful. Being a doctor with it is gonna SUCK cuz studies have shown doctors with easier, anglo-saxon last names get more clients.

My mom got married at 30 and already had clients and stuff so she never changed her name. Made it easier when she divorced
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I was just talking about this tonight I am very sad to be giving my last name up. I am a D***** through and through and although I'd love to keep it, I am excited to take on DF's last name just as much. I plan on making my maiden name my middle name and then just taking on his last name.
  10. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I took my husbands name and dropped my maiden name completely. That's what all my aunts, my mom, and my grandmother did. It wasn't really that big of a deal to me. When MIL found out I took DHs name and just dropped my maiden name she almost had a stroke (which it's weird it was such a big deal to her). Like a pp said in DH's family the women drop their middle name and add their married name.
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast