Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do you think it takes

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

How long do you think it takes

Advertisements
    to fall in love? Do you think it is different for each relationship?

I don't think I believe in love at first sight or anything, but my new boyfriend and I have been through a lot in the past five months. My feelings are already stronger for him than pretty much anyone in my life but I don't know that I'd call it love yet, especially since we have been off & on a bit. He and his ex-fiance broke up a few months before exDH and I did.

And yes I know we've done this before, but it has been a while from what I remember.

2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I think many people mistake infatuation, lust, novelty and obsession with love. To love someone means you have to really know who they are- the good, the bad and everything in between. I think it can happen quick, depending on how open two people are, but I dont for a second think after 2 weeks people are in love. I dont know if I could put a numerical point to when I think love can occur, but personally I dont think I could say I love some one and mean it before like 3 or 4 months.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    From the first moment DH and I saw each other in person we both felt there was something different between us. Looking back on it I might classify it as love at first sight. It still took us several months to actually say "I love you" But I knew way before that... I'd say probably a month or less. And DH said he knew too.
  4. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    I think it's different for everyone

And I think after you've been with someone for a while, and it is dependent on the length of time. I told DB I loved him after like three months, but it wasn't until a year later that I looked at him and it hit me that I truly meant it when I said it.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think it's really dependent on the people and the relationship, also on how you define love. I thought I loved DH after only a few months of knowing him and barely over a month of dating. It was just different than what I define as love now. I love DH in a much different and deeper way now than I did when we first got together and I was young. For what I consider to mean love at this point in my life, I would say no sooner than 5 or 6 months for ME.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    i honestly do not believe there is any way to know someone well enough to TRULY love them in under a year. you can love parts of that person, what you know about that person, but i just don't think there's any way to know someone through and through in less than a year.
    and frankly a year is on the short side of my estimate.

that being said, i think it's possible to love a lot about someone and have the good luck of continuing to realize that you love them as you get to know them better. which is why plenty of people that get married at six months last forever, ya know? luck of the draw, IMO.
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I knew I would marry dh within two weeks, and I was "in love" with him. But that meant......all the things the beginning stages of love are. Happiness chemicals were surging through my brain, he was perfect, attractive, sweet, poetic, adventurous. I mean...he was the end all, be all.

It took a lot longer to develop the deeper lasting love the one where I was literally willing and able to put his needs or wants before my own (in appropriate circumstances), and I'm sure that will continue to deepen and mature. I couldn't put an exact time on it. In a way we were love at first sight, not really in a lustful way, but in a kindred spirits sort of way (I was oblivious to him being 'interested' in me at first) but in other ways, it took much longer to cultivate the love we have now. I can only imagine where it will lead in the future.

But a simple answer, by five months I definitely loved DH in many ways and he had already taught me life lessons, given me new perspective and been the most intrigueing, fun person I had ever met.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I think many people mistake infatuation, lust, novelty and obsession with love. To love someone means you have to really know who they are- the good, the bad and everything in between. I think it can happen quick, depending on how open two people are, but I dont for a second think after 2 weeks people are in love. I dont know if I could put a numerical point to when I think love can occur, but personally I dont think I could say I love some one and mean it before like 3 or 4 months.
    i totally agree with this
  9. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    I definitely agree that most people confuse love and infatuation, and believe me I'm infatuated with this guy. We have helped each other through a lot for such a short relationship and even though I don't love him yet, I feel like I could love him in the future. I'm just wondering what other people think about putting a time frame on something like this.

10. verabot89
    verabot89
    I don't think there is really a time frame - it's just what you feel, when you feel it!
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast