Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

1. Senior Member

What do you think?

Advertisements
    Before DH left for the field he gave me a old set of his dog tags and put his wedding ring on it. Since he didn't want to lose it. His wedding ring is pretty big and we can't get it resized because of the medal it is. Plus I think it is safer when he is out there. He placed the dog tags around my neck. Then I looked at him and said what is this for he said babe you earned them. I guess I can't help but feel like I didn't earn them. I have never been deployed or served the country. I am just here as his support system. Plus its hard for me not to think about the reason our men and women who are serving wear dog tags in the first place. DH has a few tags of his buddies who were KIA. How do you feel about dog tags? Do you wear your SOs tags around your neck? Do you have them in a special place?

ETA: Mods I realize this probably isn't in the right spot. Feel free to move it! Thanks!
    Last edited by southernbelle88; 11-01-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: ETA
  2. Senior Member
    I never wore DH's dog tags. He gave me a couple of his metal "butter bars" (as he called it) to me when I went to visit him while we were only dating. I attached those to a necklace I was wearing, but that's it.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphindm04 View Post
    I never wore DH's dog tags. He gave me a couple of his metal "butter bars" (as he called it) to me when I went to visit him while we were only dating. I attached those to a necklace I was wearing, but that's it.
    I am glad I am not the only one. I don't wear DH's either. I know he wants me to it just doesn't feel right.
  4. Senior Member
    I wear DB's while he is gone. I don't in any way think I've earned them. But he gave them to me because he knows that I wanted to have a small piece of him to hang on to. They calm me down.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle88 View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one. I don't wear DH's either. I know he wants me to it just doesn't feel right.
    I wouldn't worry about it. This may sound odd, but to me it's kind of a morbid thing to wear dog tags. For instance, that's what I would have done if DH didn't come back from deployment...know what I mean?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphindm04 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. This may sound odd, but to me it's kind of a morbid thing to wear dog tags. For instance, that's what I would have done if DH didn't come back from deployment...know what I mean?
    I know exactly what you mean. Maybe because I think more about what they symbolize then anything. Plus the tags he gave me have burn spots from when he was blown up. So they make me think that he could not have made it back.....
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxieluvs View Post
    I wear DB's while he is gone. I don't in any way think I've earned them. But he gave them to me because he knows that I wanted to have a small piece of him to hang on to. They calm me down.
    I understand that about feeling closer to him. I think its more of the fact that DH's tags are burned maybe? Not sure!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DH's are in a folder somewhere. They have no symbolism in our relationship, I think I've seen them once or twice. The symbols of love in our relationship are our wedding rings.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I wore exDF's. They reminded me of him and he had his own set. He made a pair for me before he went to Japan.
  10. Senior Member
    I used to wear them, think I only stopped cause now I have wedding rings. DH isn't at all into military type stuff so he doesn't really think of dog tags as anything special that he earned. Idk I don't think you need to earn them to wear them if its what you and your SO are comfortable with.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast