Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Long Distance Relationship Strong

1. Senior Member

Keeping Long Distance Relationship Strong

Advertisements
    I'm sure some of you have probably gone close to a year or more without seeing your SO. How did you keep your long distance relationship (LDR) strong? Do you have any tips you can share?

I know there's a sticky for this but I wanted to get some individual responses on this. Thanks in advance.
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Don't let everything revolve around the fact that you're apart (meaning keep yourself busy with work, hobbies, friends, etc).

DH and I like to send each other random cute cards (through snail mail) just to remind each other that we're thinking about the other person.

I know I have other tips, but I'm too tired to think of them atm

3. Senior Member

COMMUNICATION! It is key in keeping your relationship going. Other than that I would have to say, be honest about anything and everything; no matter how terrible it may be. You have to have complete and total trust on each other at all times and last but not least, little things go a long way.

Try taking 5 minutes out of your day to sit down and call him or to send him a text just to tell him how much you love him and how much he means to you. Try being spontaneous, maybe plan a trip to fly out to go see him as a surprise. Send letters instead of texts, emails, or even phone calls (they last a lifetime).

It is simple things like what I just said that have helped DF and I. Yes, you will have your fair share of stupid little arguments, but communicating with one another will definitely help. If you need anything, feel free to PM me. My name is Brittany
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisBabyGirl View Post
    COMMUNICATION! It is key in keeping your relationship going. Other than that I would have to say, be honest about anything and everything; no matter how terrible it may be. You have to have complete and total trust on each other at all times and last but not least, little things go a long way.

Try taking 5 minutes out of your day to sit down and call him or to send him a text just to tell him how much you love him and how much he means to you. Try being spontaneous, maybe plan a trip to fly out to go see him as a surprise. Send letters instead of texts, emails, or even phone calls (they last a lifetime).

It is simple things like what I just said that have helped DF and I. Yes, you will have your fair share of stupid little arguments, but communicating with one another will definitely help. If you need anything, feel free to PM me. My name is Brittany
    Definitely the bolded

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    DB and I have been LDR our whole relationship. We've only physically been together 2 months total (scattered throughtout the year). And, we've only had one ''big'' fight.

I think the PPs have it nailed.

We send snail mail. I do more than he does just because he's so busy with everything he doesn't really have time to.

We have a skype/oovoo date AT LEAST once a week., Usually on Friday or Saturday (sometimes both) and its how we ''spend time together'' Sometimes we don't even talk we just look at eachother. Lol its corny, but it helps feel like we're really together... when we are really together we don't talk constantly haha.
    And yes, I USUALLY do get somewhat dressed up for these. I even fix my hair and do my make up sometimes

And we also send eachother links or video clips and talk about it, and laugh and joke. We occasionally have ''how many obnoxious things can i post on your fb wall'' contests. (probably annoying ot all our FB friends.. but oh well! haha) and we just post random ass links etc to the pages.

Communication is also so so important. We are genearlly great with it. But occasionally we get in a slump where one of us (usually me) is feeling needy/neglected or something and starts sucking at communicating. But we just bicker a bit until we work it out...

OH.... and sme are totally against this and thats cool...But it used to work for us

SKYPE SEX... It is what it is. Closest thing you'll get ot the real deal. It used to be good for us. It helped kinda. We could feel close. But then I started getting all emotional once. The lack of intimacy through a computer screen, really makes it lose that personal touch. And it just felt emotionless for me so I ended up emotional (makes sense right? haha)

Anyway that's my advice.

OH and I have two teddy bears from him, pictures EVERYWHERE, and I have some of his clothes that I wear quite frequently., And a necklace he gave me that makes me feel really close to him, so I never take it off.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    COMMUNICATION! It is key in keeping your relationship going. Other than that I would have to say, be honest about anything and everything; no matter how terrible it may be. You have to have complete and total trust on each other at all times and last but not least, little things go a long way. Try taking 5 minutes out of your day to sit down and call him or to send him a text just to tell him how much you love him and how much he means to you. Try being spontaneous, maybe plan a trip to fly out to go see him as a surprise. Send letters instead of texts, emails, or even phone calls (they last a lifetime).

To the bold. YES YES and YES... had to face this tonight. And realized i need to just trust him and NOT COMPARE HIM to stereotypes, or other males i know. He is not them, and therefore, I can and should and will and do trust him, evenif I make myself vulnerable by doing so
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

All of this.

DH and I emailed a lot and we just did little thing like he'd randomly send flowers and he wrote me letters when email was down.
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    making sure you both do the work. one cant be doing 80-100% while one is doing 50-60 or lower. You will have fights. Im not going to fight with DB about it but we are going to talk about it. COMMUNICATION lol that is defiantly major sauce.

do little things for each other. make each other feel special and unforgotten. always say please and thank you. be romantic
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    DB and I text ALL THE TIME. Just little messages throughout the day. I'll tell him about something I learned in school and he'll tell me about his day or whatever. In some relationships I can see how this would be annoying, but it works for us. I wear dog tags he brought me from Korea that say something really sweet. They make me feel close to him. I also sleep in a shirt of his I've had for 3 years. Whenever I see him I make him wear it so it gets his smell. I also have a teddy bear he won for me a at a theme park. I like the physical reminders, so that's what I focus on.
  10. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Lots of talking, writing, emailing, etc. And, because we had the funds, we tried to fly out and see each other as often as we could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast