Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was I engaged?

1. Senior Member

Question Was I engaged?

Advertisements
    I couldn't think of any other title for this post, I apologize. But I did want opinions on this.

Here's a little background info:

My husband and I were long distance up until I moved to TX in August. We had obviously seen and spent time with each other, but didn't live together until we got married.

We hadn't seen each other in over 2 years, so I was planning a trip to visit him in June. After being on the phone until about 4am, finalizing flight/hotel details with him, we ended the call.

3 hours later, I woke up to a picture message from him. It was a picture of our rings. The text underneath said "I'm not letting you leave here until you're Mrs. D****. Will you marry me?"

I was shocked, but of course I said yes. I considered that a proposal, and proceeded to tell close friends and family that I was engaged. However, some said it wasn't "real" because I wasn't wearing an engagement ring, even after I showed them the picture and text. He could have sent me the ring, and he was going to, but he said wanted to have the experience of putting in on my finger. I thought that was sweet.

The question is: Do you consider that a "real" proposal/engagement? Did you have a "verbal" proposal and get flack about it? Just curious to know who else has been here...
  2. Senior Member
    If it was real to you and him, then yes.

It would be a real one to me... It sounds very sweet and I personally would have been very disappointed if my engagement ring was mailed to me. That would be so unspecial for me personally.
  3. Senior Member
    You don't need a ring to be engaged IMO. What's important is that YOU see/saw it as an engagement.
  4. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    The folks who are saying you weren't engaged are just jealous of how sweet that was!
  5. Yes I miss Spell Words and my Grammar Sucks.... Get over it.
    Yes I miss Spell Words and my Grammar Sucks.... Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystalD View Post
    I couldn't think of any other title for this post, I apologize. But I did want opinions on this.

Here's a little background info:

My husband and I were long distance up until I moved to TX in August. We had obviously seen and spent time with each other, but didn't live together until we got married.

We hadn't seen each other in over 2 years, so I was planning a trip to visit him in June. After being on the phone until about 4am, finalizing flight/hotel details with him, we ended the call.

3 hours later, I woke up to a picture message from him. It was a picture of our rings. The text underneath said "I'm not letting you leave here until you're Mrs. D****. Will you marry me?"

I was shocked, but of course I said yes. I considered that a proposal, and proceeded to tell close friends and family that I was engaged. However, some said it wasn't "real" because I wasn't wearing an engagement ring, even after I showed them the picture and text. He could have sent me the ring, and he was going to, but he said wanted to have the experience of putting in on my finger. I thought that was sweet.

The question is: Do you consider that a "real" proposal/engagement? Did you have a "verbal" proposal and get flack about it? Just curious to know who else has been here...
    For me, No i dont consider that a real proposal.
    For me a real proposal is in person, even if there is not Ring, you dont always need a ring but i need to be asked in person.
    There are many ladies on here who got Engaged over , skype, phone, e-mail etc. I understand that the circumstances are different for everybody but for me it has to be in person.

But if I had a friend who got Engaged like that , if she considers it a proposal I would be happy for her and congratulate her.

I Try to be Nicer, when you Try to be Smarter.
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I was engaged for 7 months before I had a ring on my finger, my family didn't recognize it as official until I put on my engagment ring but I didn't care our intentions were marriage and he asked me to be his wife. I was engaged plain and simple.

7. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I had one over a text message

And we're JUST as married as everyone else, now.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl View Post
    If it was real to you and him, then yes.

It would be a real one to me... It sounds very sweet and I personally would have been very disappointed if my engagement ring was mailed to me. That would be so unspecial for me personally.
    Agree... Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if you two say you were engaged, then you are.
    :)
    Blog Entries
    My DH asked me over the phone when he was at AIT on '07. We were engaged almost a 1 year and a half before we got married. I never had a ring. So yes I would consider it a proposal.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  10. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Definitely a proposal! Congratulations!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast