Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying your SO Gifts

1. FiFi89
    FiFi89

Question Buying your SO Gifts

Advertisements
    Couldnt for the life of me think where to put this thread, so mods pls move if necessary!

Sooo, how do you and your SO work the presents tradition. Do you ask eachother what you want? (say for christmas, birthdays, valentines etc.).
    Do you have an idea what your SO would like?

How much do you spend? Do you both set a limit? or whatever you can afford?

I m asking because I was thinking last night, the next holiday for DB and myself is Christmas, (I know, I know, its ages away), but I couldnt think of anything to get him!! I missed his birthday by like 3 days, we hadnt met. But he was pretty generous on my birthday, we were only dating about 6 weeks, he got me a charm bracelet, a voucher and brought me to dinner.

Now that christmas is next, and we are BOTH getting gifts, should we discuss a spending limit? We both earn and spend around the same amount. But I would feel awful if he spent ALOT on me, and I had silly presents for him? kwim? or even vice versa, he'd feel really bad!

Nearer christmas you better look out for my "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO BUY HIM" thread. I m gonna be so stuck!

TIA!!!

Fifi & Gavin
  2. Senior Member
    I would have a general conversation asking if there is anything special he wants or what he wants to do for christmas. . but overall I would expect to have your own ideas on the actual gift i think guys usually will tell you straight out what they want before girls though they seem to not usually care about surprises.

Here we go again.....#3
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would discuss amounts to make sure you spend about the same and no one feels bad. I always ask what someone wants but hardly ever get a good response, . I have no clue what to get my husband for Christmas so I know I will be pestering him for advise I just doubt he will be of any help.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    for christmas we give each other lists- and then the giver will decide what to give on the list.
    for birthdays we usually don't give gifts and the birthday person picks the evening- no matter what it is the other person has to do it too- LOL makes for a fun night
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    We generally have discussions about what we want, for my birthday he flat out asked me to give him a list and I got basically everything on my list (even though that was unexpected).

For his birthday I'm working on getting him a computer because I know that's what he wants and he knows that's what he's getting so that he doesn't buy it himself beforehand.

We don't really discuss spending limits all that much because our finances are together so we just sort of play things by ear...it works out for us.

6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I usually pay more attention to what DB says he wants around this time so I have ideas in advance but he usually asks me what I want cause I'm not the type to give hints all the time. We don't set a spending limit, DB has always had more disposable income than me but the one time we set a spending limit DB didn't pay any attention so ive found them pointless lol. We usually do something smaller for Christmas since our anniversary is 2 days before, our anniversary is our big holiday. We have some tradition presents that we give every year. But his Christmas usually includes mentos (inside joke), some kinda sweatshirt or sweater, I bake him his favorite desserts I make, only mini versions, and then his main gift like last year it was a heavy bag for him to box with. He sticks to jewelry and clothes for me... I email him wish lists so he knows what I like then he picks what he wants to get as far as the clothes go but he just picks the jewelry. Lol.
  7. FiFi89
    FiFi89
    thanks girls!!

Does anyone else think its wayy harder to buy for a guy? He'll complain about how "picky" girls are. but there are wayyy more things we like! Jewellery, perfume, handbags, pretty things! Theres alot!

Fifi & Gavin
  8. FiFi89
    FiFi89
    Hmmm I like this wishlist you all have! I bet he wouldnt fill it out!

Does it ruin a SURPRISE....cos you know you ll get something off the list?

Then again...without a list I dunno how good he'll be at buying pressies for me!

Fifi & Gavin
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Girly View Post
    Hmmm I like this wishlist you all have! I bet he wouldnt fill it out!

Does it ruin a SURPRISE....cos you know you ll get something off the list?

Then again...without a list I dunno how good he'll be at buying pressies for me!
    it didn't ruin any surprises for me...I knew I would be getting something I wanted/needed and he knew he'd be getting me something I'd like but I didn't know which something he was getting me.

He's also pretty good at picking up hints so sometimes he just gets me things I mention without even thinking about it and surprises me.

10. Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year!
    We were actually just talked about this yesterday... he told me he didn't know what he wanted.... (thanks husband, real helpful )

Usually I try to get him one big thing, and a couple little things.

"Missing someone isn't about how long it has been since you've seen them or the amount of time since you've talked.
    It's about that very moment when you find yourself doing something and wishing they were right there by your side."
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast