Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things In Common

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Hello Things In Common

Advertisements
    Does anyone else feel like things work really well between you and your SO, but you really have nothing in common?

I was talking with my best friend the other day and since my relationship is still fairly new, she was asking me a bunch of questions about my boyfriend. She asked about what things we both like and had in common. Oh my goodness. Such a hard question! We really don't have much in common at all!

He's a little reserved, into guns, motorcycles, hard rock, tricking out cars/bikes, and talks politics a bunch. Me, I'm way outgoing, love dancing and singing (karaoke! woot!)-really anything about music, I love anything from hip hop to country to Alternative, i LOVE movies..

I am fine with how our relationship is and like I said, it works well for us. But it was kind of awkward talking about "us" and realizing we don't have much in common! Our backgrounds are profoundly different as well. He comes from a non religious, very small family in Oklahoma and they don't talk all that much and I have a HUGE family up here in Washington who I do everything with!! Including church stuff. (he's religious now though, started going to church a little over 2 years ago.)

Do you have things in common with your SO, or not so much (like me!)
  2. sassypants
    sassypants
    well me and db have a DEAD simalar taste in music.

which is well, super important to me
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  3. Senior Member
    my husband and i don't have much in common on the surface, like we don't have the same taste in movies or music usually, but we get along really well and we find other things that we have in common. i don't really see something like that as an issue, but i've heard that relationships like that eventually fizzle out. i think we'll have more surface things in common as time goes on though, we're introducing each other to new things.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

opposites attract, so that must be how it is in your case! i have a couple friends that are dating guys and they seem to have nothing in common. they are interested in completely different things...but they have a VERY good relationship. i think its good because it gives the other person a chance to learn about new things!

on the other hand, me and DB have very similar interests we both love the same kind of things. sports, our families, cars, being active, hanging out with our friends, etc. i think both ways can turn into great relationships!
  5. Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    I don't know if that we have so much in common or that we're both just tolerant. I mean, we both love movies, but I watch his and he watches mine. We both love music, but he loves the popular stuff all the time and I like to mix it up with some country and rock. I HATE Adam Sandler and Jim Carey in almost all of their movies and he loves them, but I watch them, because he watches the Twilights and chick flicks with me. He would rather play video games than read, and I'm opposite, but we both do the other for the other person. Point is.... As long as the big issues match up (life goals and ambitions, lifestyle, children etc), as long as you're tolerant and understand, all the little stuff works out.
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful
    as expectation of something better tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Tigger_pink is my MSOS wifey JoJoBannana is my twin
  6. Senior Member
    Dh and I are opposites of each other Don't get me wrong, we have a few similar interests that you can count on one hand, but that's about it. We grew up very differently and our personalities are completely opposite. It makes life very interesting

Thankfully, we're alike with important things like children, religion and politics
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    DH and I are almost two peas in a pod we are both nerds(), like games (he's a bigger gamer then me but everyone I've been good friends with were gamers I seem to not be able to avoid them.). We even have the same boundaries relationship wise, about the same taste in music, want the same number of kids, religion, same view on politics(mostly), like most of the same foods, talk over each other saying the exact same thing as the other a LOT, and so on we almost never disagree on anything and enjoy most of the same things.

I can keep going but it works for us he is a little more out going and more of a people person then I am which is about the only difference I can think of other then him being very goofy and funny unlike me sense I am normally more logical and think to hard on well everything. Well there is the obvious physical differences but that is a given with him having a joy stick and me having a wonder cave.
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    When we first got together, it seemed like we had nothing in common! Now we have more, we have kind of met in the middle on some things. Not like we've changed for each other, but now that we've spent so much time doing things the pther person enjoyed just to be nice, we both enjoy them. Like I used to hate to go fishing, but he would fish every moment of his life if he could. Now I love going out to the lake and sitting there relaxing with him and throwing a line in here and there.
  9. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katie17 View Post
    opposites attract, so that must be how it is in your case! i have a couple friends that are dating guys and they seem to have nothing in common. they are interested in completely different things...but they have a VERY good relationship. i think its good because it gives the other person a chance to learn about new things!

i think both ways can turn into great relationships!
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiebabe View Post
    I don't know if that we have so much in common or that we're both just tolerant.

Point is.... As long as the big issues match up (life goals and ambitions, lifestyle, children etc), as long as you're tolerant and understand, all the little stuff works out.
    Totally! I have no problem with his interests at all and its kinda fun learning about new stuff. I think, like you were saying blondiebabe, what makes us work is because those big issues DO match up! That's what was so cool when we first started getting to know each other. All those important things were like "YES! Me too!!" It was fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole! View Post
    Dh and I are opposites of each other Don't get me wrong, we have a few similar interests that you can count on one hand, but that's about it. We grew up very differently and our personalities are completely opposite. It makes life very interesting

Thankfully, we're alike with important things like children, religion and politics
    Yay, that makes me feel good I'm not the only one! haha With all my past history of liking guys, I liked them because of how similar we were and so this is just new and different (duh!) and feels good and awkward at the same time. haha

10. Senior Member
    I think we have a lot in common with regard to values and lifestyle things. That's what a life is built on, not whether you both like comic books or Shakespeare or horseback riding.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast