Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Of You Who Are Married...

1. Senior Member

For Those Of You Who Are Married...

Advertisements
    Did your SO being in the military, and possibly being sent away have anything to do with quickening your marriage/engagement? Do you think that if they were in a different career you would have gotten married a lot later? Did you get married because he/she were at the hands of the military and you didn't want to be apart? I'm just curious to compare military marriages and engagements to non military engagement/marriages. Thanks in advance!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by armygf1985 View Post
    Did your SO being in the military, and possibly being sent away have anything to do with quickening your marriage/engagement? Do you think that if they were in a different career you would have gotten married a lot later? Did you get married because he/she were at the hands of the military and you didn't want to be apart? I'm just curious to compare military marriages and engagements to non military engagement/marriages. Thanks in advance!
    Nope, it actually delayed when we had wanted to get married.
  3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    My husband and I got married only 5 weeks before he deployed but honestly the deployment had nothing to do with it. We had been planning it for awhile but we were working out our issues first. And when we both felt things had improved about 90%, we just did it We went out of town for about 5 days and eloped. It was pretty exciting but after the deployment ends we will do a more formal ceremony and party. And honeymoon
  4. 021409<3
    021409<3
    It quickened our wedding, but not our engagement. We were already engaged and planning the wedding (had the deposit put down on our venue and everything) when we found out he was going to Iraq. So we decided to have a very small ceremony before he left, then did our big wedding once he returned.
  5. Regular Member
    I think if it wasn't for the military we would have got married sooner. We lived together for a LONG time...mainly because he kept leaving and I think we both just wanted to be sure we really knew each other and what we were committing too, but we had a really short engagement
  6. Senior Member
    Nope. We got married after 5.5 years of dating and two deployments.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  7. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    The military played no part in our engagement or marriage. DH and I were married just shy of 2 years when he left for BMT.
  8. HardxCore New Yorker.
    HardxCore New Yorker.
    DH joining defiantly did.

We had already been together 6 years and him being in training was an awful feeling for the both of us. Neither of us wanted to be apart if we didn't have to. We had already decided that we were going to get married before he left for bootcamp we just didn't know when. But the separation made us both want to do it faster.
    And I feel it was the best decision we've ever made

If he were not in the military I don't think we'd be married yet because we wouldn't of opted to JOP. Therefore we probably wouldn't be as financially stable as we are now if we were still living back at home, looking for apartments and being in school and such.
    -Brittni

Together since December 15th, 2003. Married since August 8th, 2009
  9. Senior Member
    Definitely would have been married sooner if it wasn't for him being in the military. Deployments and training got in the way, or we would have definitely been married sooner!
    Banned
    My husband being in the military had everything to do with us getting married. If he wasn't in the military I never would have met him. That being said, we were together for more than 4 1/2 years before getting married. During that time he had been on a deployment and many work ups. We took our time, and I am glad we did.
    Last edited by Anchored2aSailor; 03-05-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast