Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Young brides and ladies who married young

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Young brides and ladies who married young

Advertisements
    How did you tell your family (parents, aunts, grandparents, etc) that you wanted to get married at a young age. I am not going through this , at least not yet but Im interested in knowing how you ladies broke the news. Did you tell them on your own? Was your SO present? How did they respond?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My parents just sort of knew! Sorry i'm not much help
  3. Banned
    Banned
    My parents always knew I wanted to get married young. When the engagement came about me and DF told both of our parents while we were together..which helped. I don't think anyone was really surprised, they knew it was coming just by seeing us together. We got good reactions from everyone
  4. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I had to tell my parents alone, and so did he. They didn't take it very well, as I ecpected.
  5. Senior Member
    I told my parents I was open with them from the start so they weren't surprised. They knew it was going to happen
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I was 17, sat my dad down and said "okay we need you to sign off on the marriage license" but DH had been living with us for a year by then and was basically a part of the family.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbird24 View Post
    I had to tell my parents alone, and so did he. They didn't take it very well, as I ecpected.

Oh no! Well, Im glad youre happy with your choice!
  8. I <3 my Sergeant
    I <3 my Sergeant
    Blog Entries
    My story isnt a happy one. DH proposed to me over the webcam and couldnt get home for two months after. My parents knew we were serious but the minute I said engaged they freaked. Then DF was on the phone so we could tell them together as best we could. But they were not happy at all. They had a lot of choice words and vowed if we didnt have a long engagement they wouldnt support it. After a couple of months I really didnt want to wait 2+ years and wanted to be his wife now. They again were furious and refused to come to the ceremony. I scheduled a courthouse ceremony, bought a short white dress, and did everything with my in laws. They werent going to come till three weeks before when my grandparents announced they would be flying in from Cali and New Jersey for the event. They had to come to terms that it was going to happen and they couldnt stop me. I was 20 when we got married and while I dont think they wanted it they put on a smile and mom made me a bouqet. On our one year anniversary my mom called me crying saying she regretted everything and she was so sorry for the way she acted. It bothered her that she wasnt there when I bought my dress and she wasnt open to any of it. Almost three years since my ceremony and they never mention a word about their original reaction to everything.

My side of the family is on the right side

Cancer Survivor!
    35 Rounds of Radiation-2005
    18 Rounds of Chemotherapy-2006
    Deployment Survivor!
    16 Months-2007
    12 Months-2009

9. Senior Member
    When I told them I was engaged, they knew it wouldn't be too far down the line. My mom told me I was an idiot, and my dad said congrats.

The actual marriage thing is a little more hurtful, and is not one of my proudest moments. And, we'll leave it at that.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  10. Senior Member
    Both sets of parents weren't surprised about the engagement, but were surprised about how soon we got married afterwards. After they had time to digest everything, they became much more accepting. We got married in April but had our formal wedding and reception last week and they couldn't be happier for us
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast