Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PARENTS DON'T APPROVE

1. Regular Member

PARENTS DON'T APPROVE

Advertisements
    So DB and I have been dating for about 6 months. And my parents don't think he "deserves" me. This really bothers me because I do value my parents opinion.. The reason why they feel like he isn't good enough is becase he's 21 years old, still lives at home, has no car, isnt in school and has no job! I know it kinda seems like im crazy to even consider dating someone like this. But what really made me decide to give him a chance is the fact he's joining the marines and he leaves for bootcamp in AUG. So I know that in the future he will be successful. Also I have fallen in love with him and he treats me better than any of my other boyfriends emotionally. So my question is does anyone have any advice to help me get through this tough time? And should I even worry about what my parents think becasue it's me life?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

I value my parents opinion alot..I mean alot alot...but with that being said I dont think them not liking my husband would make me leave him...even when we first started dating.

but at least they dont approve for silly reasons, they just want someone who is capable of taking care of you...you cant be mad at that =/
  3. Regular Member
    Ya your right but it makes things a little harder because I have no one to go to for advice.
  4. Am
    How old are you?

You have to do what you feel is best for you. While you might value your parents' opinion, you ultimately have to make the decision. Try explaining to them why you love him and that he's making plans for the future.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well its hard to say. I see that you are 18. When I was 18, I was with a man who was in the EXACT same situation (no job, car, lived with his friends parents) that my parents disapproved of. I loved him. I thought the same thing and we later got engaged. The thing is though, just because someone is going to become a marine doesn't mean they will be successful.

The same dude ended up getting a less than honorable discharge, walking away with a lot of my money and is now living at his ex/baby's momma's parents house, with no job.

So it really depends on why he is in the position he is. Is he down on his luck? Is something out of his control holding him back? Or is he content living at home with no job?

Also, are your parents always critical of the guys you date? Are they overbearing in other ways? Or are they usually right on?
  6. Senior Member
    This is a tough one... based on what you said... I would advise you to take it super slow... He plans on turning his life around... but let him START in that direction before you invest too much of your heart... But that is because I don't him...

You him...and that makes it tough... your parents are just trying to protect you! But, if you feel really strongly about him.. then it is your life.. and you have to make that call. Maybe take it slow until he proves himself worthy.... Good luck!
  7. Senior Member
    When I met DH I was a jobless, divorced mother of two and no money to my name.... He still fell in love with me.
    You make you happy. Its always wonderful to value your parents opinions. Honestly though, no one will ever be good enough for you in their eyes.
    I say it bc my family said the same thing about DH and he is AWESOME! (they adore him now).
    Best of luck. Keep your head up.
  8. Regular Member
    He does want more for himself. I live in Michigan and it is nearly impossible for adults to find jobs let alone a young male with no education. My parents are very protective and only want the VERY best for me.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Amberlovesu1 View Post
    He does want more for himself. I live in Michigan and it is nearly impossible for adults to find jobs let alone a young male with no education. My parents are very protective and only want the VERY best for me.
    oh hey fellow Michigan resident!

Yeah I know what you mean. I was unemployed for almost 6 months before I found something temporary and almost 2 months before I got hooked up with something....less temporary.
  10. Regular Member
    So you know it's hard for anyone to find a decent paying job in Michigan. So that's why he's in the position he's in now.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast