Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got...

1. You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead
    You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead

I got...

Advertisements
    [not one but TWO engagment rings last night!]

Df aparently bought me a ring yesterday while shopping with his friend. He insisted we go over to my mom's tonight because he "doesn't think one night was enough to see my mom" then sent me down to Sheetz to buy cigarettes. While I was gone he asked my mom for permission to marry me and she said yes, but only if I wait until my sister is married (let me just say I will be making another thread in the vent section shortly) then she gave him my grandmother's engagement ring! The whole deal originally had been that you had to buy the ring and that's why my sister's fiance had told everyone.

Df told me in confidence that my mom didn't charge my sister's fiance or mine. She just doesn't want anyone to know they didn't pay for them. So Df had two rings and wasn't going to return the one he spent hours looking for, so now I have two. The other one is a lot more subtle than my grandmother's so I decided that I will use that for my wedding ring after we are married and keep my engagement ring under lock and key except for family events.

p.s. due to the fine print that I have to "wait until my sister is married" Df and I decided to get married this spring and not tell a single sole. None of our family members will know we are married until the public wedding in 2013.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartwookie View Post
    [not one but TWO engagment rings last night!]

Df aparently bought me a ring yesterday while shopping with his friend. He insisted we go over to my mom's tonight because he "doesn't think one night was enough to see my mom" then sent me down to Sheetz to buy cigarettes. While I was gone he asked my mom for permission to marry me and she said yes, but only if I wait until my sister is married (let me just say I will be making another thread in the vent section shortly) then she gave him my grandmother's engagement ring! The whole deal originally had been that you had to buy the ring and that's why my sister's fiance had told everyone.

Df told me in confidence that my mom didn't charge my sister's fiance or mine. She just doesn't want anyone to know they didn't pay for them. So Df had two rings and wasn't going to return the one he spent hours looking for, so now I have two. The other one is a lot more subtle than my grandmother's so I decided that I will use that for my wedding ring after we are married and keep my engagement ring under lock and key except for family events.

p.s. due to the fine print that I have to "wait until my sister is married" Df and I decided to get married this spring and not tell a single sole. None of our family members will know we are married until the public wedding in 2013.
    I am confused about why you have to wait. Also, it will be really hurtful to a lot of people if it comes out later that you were married ahead of time and didn't let any of your family know. I know from personal experience... I wish everyday that I had mentioned it to my parents. They were upset they couldn't be there for the initial marriage.

Do your parents still claim you on anything? Taxes, insurance, etc? If so, that's something to consider.

Is your sister already engaged and not getting married until 2013? Why do you have to wait over 2 years?
  3. Junior Member

But what happens if they find out you didn't wait? I'm not judging your choice. I wouldn't wait either. I just don't see myself having agreed to those terms.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  4. You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead
    She got engaged in September and they decided not to get married until 2012 because her fiance's job in promoting him and moving him somewhere else in the country so they want to wait to get settled in their new location before they marry.

Basically my older sister is a selfish bia and doesn't want me to do ANYTHING before her.
    She was even POed when I called her last night to tell her I got engaged and said "I find it kind of funny that you just happen to get engaged 4 months after I do"

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I will wait for the vent on the sister thing to comment on that!

but , two is always better then one
  6. You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead
    I know my family will be upset IF they find out we did it this way, but I think it's crazy that they had the nerve to tell him to wait until my sister gets married before we do. The whole reason we would have been having the wedding in May instead of waiting in the first place is because I want to move out there to be with him. So we decided to just go off and get married and tell them that we found a loop hole so we could live together without being married.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartwookie View Post
    I know my family will be upset IF they find out we did it this way, but I think it's crazy that they had the nerve to tell him to wait until my sister gets married before we do. The whole reason we would have been having the wedding in May instead of waiting in the first place is because I want to move out there to be with him. So we decided to just go off and get married and tell them that we found a loop hole so we could live together without being married.
    I dont know your family situation, and this could be a very viable option for you, but I want to say that you should really think hard about this.

Maybe do the courthouse thing but invite the parents and siblings to come and be able to be there. Then wait until after your sister gets married to have a big reception type thing? At least you can still get married when you want, compromise with your sister (as much as I would just say fuck her), and put it on them to be there if they want.

You get what you want, your sister can still have the "big" spot light first, and you dont have to lie to your family about something that you really are going to want to share with EVERYONE and celebrate!
  8. You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead
    the vent thread is up.

9. You're what keeps me believing the world's not gone dead
    also, I will post pictures of the rings when I get back to my apartment tonight because my work computer won't let me.

10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    First congrats. Second...my personal feeling is that IF you are adult enough to get married you need to be adult enough to be honest about it with your family. Hiding things is for children.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast