Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: engagement

1. Senior Member

engagement

Advertisements
    I've been seeing a lot of you say how you picked out your own ring, and/or you know/knew when the question was going to be popped.

IMO, I think the guy should pick out the ring, without any help from the girl. It makes it more sentimental. And I think its more exciting when the question is a total surprise.

Anyone else agree with me?
  2. Senior Member
    I don't want to pick out my ring. I don't even want to know that he is thinking about proposing I would like to be 100% surprised.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiersgirl_08 View Post
    I don't want to pick out my ring. I don't even want to know that he is thinking about proposing I would like to be 100% surprised.

thats exactly how i want it
  4. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    DH had me pick out my rings. No less sentimental to me. Its one of my most dearest possessions.
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

5. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Every couple is different. DH let me design my own ring because he wanted BOTH of us to be involved because it was a life changing event to both of us. He also wanted to make sure that I LOVED my ring and that it was "me". And who knows me better than me?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I disagree, while I know its the meaning and all of that... that is still supposed to be a ring thats going to be on my finger for a long time, I want it to be something I love, esp when you look at the money that is being spent on it. If someone is going to drop a decent amount of money (whatever that is for their situation), I think it should be something the woman loves...

My husband SUCKS at picking out jewelery for me, love him to death, but the majority of jewelry he has picked out for me, I will never wear. With that said, DH picked out a nice ring, I like it, but its not something I love and not what I ever wanted my wedding set to look like. Its beautiful and we will keep it for our kids to give or what not, but I will be getting a set that I love and really like within the next year or two.

As for the question, yea I agree I think it should be somewhat of a surprise, I think a conversation about that step should have been had at some point before it, but the actual logistics of when and where, yea I would agree I would want (and had) a bit of a surprise.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyHeart View Post
    DH had me pick out my rings. No less sentimental to me. Its one of my most dearest possessions.
    I don't think it would be less sentimental if I picked out my ring. I just want to be surprised when someone pop's the question. I wouldn't be surprised if I picked out my ring
  8. Senior Member
    I agree with Sam. But at the same time, I want it to be a surprise.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I disagree, while I know its the meaning and all of that... that is still supposed to be a ring thats going to be on my finger for a long time, I want it to be something I love, esp when you look at the money that is being spent on it. If someone is going to drop a decent amount of money (whatever that is for their situation), I think it should be something the woman loves...

My husband SUCKS at picking out jewelery for me, love him to death, but the majority of jewelry he has picked out for me, I will never wear. With that said, DH picked out a nice ring, I like it, but its not something I love and not what I ever wanted my wedding set to look like. Its beautiful and we will keep it for our kids to give or what not, but I will be getting a set that I love and really like within the next year or two.

As for the question, yea I agree I think it should be somewhat of a surprise, I think a conversation about that step should have been had at some point before it, but the actual logistics of when and where, yea I would agree I would want (and had) a bit of a surprise.

i agree with wanting a ring that i like. for me, i would much rather him go to my mom or sister, who knows what i like, to get help with what to get opposed to coming to me.

also, i do agree with having a talk about marriage as well. i just don't wanna know when the actual question is coming.
  10. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by soldiersgirl_08 View Post
    I don't think it would be less sentimental if I picked out my ring. I just want to be surprised when someone pop's the question. I wouldn't be surprised if I picked out my ring

You can still be surprised if you pick out your own ring. Just because you pick it doesn't mean you are engaged right then.

I for one didn't want to be surprised because it's a major life decision that I feel should be made together.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast