Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "A New Reason He Won't Ask You Out"

1. Senior Member

"A New Reason He Won't Ask You Out"

Advertisements
    Guys Who Don't Ask Girls Out

"A woman's work is never done, is it? Now we can add asking men out to the list of things we're "expected" to do.

A trend piece in Minneapolis Star-Tribune seems archaic at first, introducing the topic as if it were outlandish. "Not long ago, the idea that women might be the ones to make the moves would have been considered improper."

But women aren't just starting to ask men out, they are catching up with Spanish women by making the first move more often than men. Susanne Jones, a communication studies professor at the University of Minnesota, confirmed women asking men out is now the norm, so much that guys are starting to expect it. As in, wait for you, or assume you don't like them if you don't.

The article goes on to credit women's newfound confidence, their rise in the workplace, and generalized feminism for the new dating order, yet the consensus relies on old-fashioned male bashing. They're terrible at it, women say, coming off as creepy, desperate, or arrogant.

But isn't it a given that men who gratuitously hit on women (i.e. the ones most likely to make a move on you) are inherently creepy? Maybe the problem isn't that men can't hit on women, but that those least shy about doing so are a certain type? Whatever the reason, I say the guys we want to date are not going to drop some slick line at the bar. After all, that would be creepy."

Personally, I don't LIKE to be the one to make the first move. I feel like if I guy wants to go out with me, he will ask me out. So, if I'm the one that asks him out, I feel desperate. I think it's great for a woman to have the confidence to ask a man out, and I believe guys do to, but should it lead to her making the first move?

What do y'all think?
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  2. Switzerland
    Switzerland
    If a woman wants to make the first move then go for it. If not then don't.

According to this K and I are old fashioned. He asked me out. I liked him a lot but never would have. And since K is ridiculously shy, it means he must have liked me a lot to do it.
  3. Senior Member
    If I hadn't taken action and told DF how I felt about him then we wouldn't be where we're at today.
  4. life is like a box of chocolates...
    life is like a box of chocolates...
    there is nothing wrong at all with women asking out men, but i'm old fashioned. i don't ask guys out, it's just not something i feel comfortable doing. luckily E is the type that goes after what he wants and luckily he wanted me!
    if you can find a path with no obstacles, then it probably doesn't lead anywhere....

i love me some RED HOT!!

vice president of ILLCARDC
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds1036 View Post
    Guys Who Don't Ask Girls Out

"A woman's work is never done, is it? Now we can add asking men out to the list of things we're "expected" to do.

A trend piece in Minneapolis Star-Tribune seems archaic at first, introducing the topic as if it were outlandish. "Not long ago, the idea that women might be the ones to make the moves would have been considered improper."

But women aren't just starting to ask men out, they are catching up with Spanish women by making the first move more often than men. Susanne Jones, a communication studies professor at the University of Minnesota, confirmed women asking men out is now the norm, so much that guys are starting to expect it. As in, wait for you, or assume you don't like them if you don't.

The article goes on to credit women's newfound confidence, their rise in the workplace, and generalized feminism for the new dating order, yet the consensus relies on old-fashioned male bashing. They're terrible at it, women say, coming off as creepy, desperate, or arrogant.

But isn't it a given that men who gratuitously hit on women (i.e. the ones most likely to make a move on you) are inherently creepy? Maybe the problem isn't that men can't hit on women, but that those least shy about doing so are a certain type? Whatever the reason, I say the guys we want to date are not going to drop some slick line at the bar. After all, that would be creepy."

Personally, I don't LIKE to be the one to make the first move. I feel like if I guy wants to go out with me, he will ask me out. So, if I'm the one that asks him out, I feel desperate. I think it's great for a woman to have the confidence to ask a man out, and I believe guys do to, but should it lead to her making the first move?

What do y'all think?
    I think if there is a guy you like why not "hit on them" or ask them out. Why wait for the guy? What if the guy doesn't know? What if the guy likes you but doesn't realize you like him? Why does it have to be the man's job.

You shouldn't feel desperate, but secure in the fact you go after what you want.
  6. Senior Member
    i'm old fashion with this kind of stuff and i think the guy should make the first move
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieee View Post
    i'm old fashion with this kind of stuff and i think the guy should make the first move
    Yeah.. I mean, if the guy won't ask me out.. he either doesn't like me enough, or is too shy. And I like outgoing guys
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I think if there is a guy you like why not "hit on them" or ask them out. Why wait for the guy? What if the guy doesn't know? What if the guy likes you but doesn't realize you like him? Why does it have to be the man's job.

You shouldn't feel desperate, but secure in the fact you go after what you want.
    I am a total flirt.. if a guy shows any interest in me, and I like him, I will definitely hint that I like him back. I don't want to be the one that does the asking out though. I guess I got that idea from that movie "He's Just Not That Into You" ; Justin Long tells the girl that if a guy likes her, he will ask her out. Movies mess up our lives, I swear
  9. Free!
    Free!
    I grew up around women who are very forward and uhh open I guess is the word so I always got the "if you like him ask. The worst he can say is no." I don't mind doing it I just want balance.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Why SHOULDN'T a woman ask the man out?
    Or make a first move. An obvious move by the way. the "Bend and Snap" doesn't work as well as "Hi, I am ..."
    Women say they hate games, but they insist on playing them anyways.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast