Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Umm whats the difference?

1. living my life like its golden
    living my life like its golden
    Blog Entries

Confused Umm whats the difference?

Advertisements
    My question is what is the difference between a girlfriend and a fiance? Neither have legal ties to the man or woman.. And both can be broken up at some point.. So i ask you GFs and Fiances of men or women.. What is the BIG difference?

Some people dont want to get married but that doesnt make their title less important or as sacred as yours.. Give me your thoughts
    <a href=http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs965.snc4/75841_445838396916_548251916_5919248_476385_n.jpg target=_blank>http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...8_476385_n.jpg</a>
  2. You are here.
    You are here.
    i guess it would matter to a fiance....i know when i was engaged, i was really bound to my SO just as if I were married, just not legally with a piece of paper.
  3. Senior Member

You get a ring?
  4. Senior Member
    Ummm I think that fiance just means that you are closer to being married... I mean you get engaged to start planning a wedding and decide where to live.. buy a house... all that future life stuff... because you have already dated and KNOW you want to spend the rest of your lives together...
    And as a girlfriend you are still learning each other and deciding if they are "the one" regardless of your faults and his, through thick and thin...and your "planning" is more daydreaming of "someday I want...." JMO

But if you never plan on getting married... that is a whole different story I guess... no experience there...
  5. Senior Member
    i think being a finance is more commitment than being a girlfriend in a way. its like another step in the relationship and shows that you are really devoted to each other

and you get some nice bling
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

For me, I knew I was going to marry him either way.
    I did not go over board with the fiance term, I just did not like it though. I still called myself his girlfriend lol
  7. CTN
    The difference between a girlfriend and a fiancee is that when you're his girlfriend, you're dating. When you're his fiancee, that means you've both agreed that this is it and that you're going to get married.

Nothing legal, like you said, but that's the gist. I think that's a pretty big difference.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think its just traditional groupings that society still assigns levels of "importance" too.

You're right in that not everyone wants to get married. Some couples have successful relationships that last decades and until death without committing to get married. And some get engaged right off the bat.

However, as long as marriage is considered the norm for committed couples, the title "fiance" will be assigned more weight or "credibility".
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    The difference between a girlfriend and a fiancee is that when you're his girlfriend, you're dating. When you're his fiancee, that means you've both agreed that this is it and that you're going to get married.

Nothing legal, like you said, but that's the gist. I think that's a pretty big difference.
    I have to agree with this as well. Once asked, we both weren't looking any longer.
  10. living my life like its golden
    living my life like its golden
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanaBear View Post
    For me, I knew I was going to marry him either way.
    I did not go over board with the fiance term, I just did not like it though. I still called myself his girlfriend lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post
    I think its just traditional groupings that society still assigns levels of "importance" too.

You're right in that not everyone wants to get married. Some couples have successful relationships that last decades and until death without committing to get married. And some get engaged right off the bat.

However, as long as marriage is considered the norm for committed couples, the title "fiance" will be assigned more weight or "credibility".

yeah this is how i feel.. Like my db and i talk about marriage and a future and where we want to live and we KNOW we want to get married he's asked me to marry him.. But i still call myself his girlfriend, sometimes i say fiance and others i say girlfriend.. I feel like if him and I have an understanding of what our relationship is then titles are unnecessary
    <a href=http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs965.snc4/75841_445838396916_548251916_5919248_476385_n.jpg target=_blank>http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...8_476385_n.jpg</a>
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast