Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap date ideas

1. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries

Cheap date ideas

Advertisements
    My love language is quality time, and it can be pretty tough to get that sometimes without spending a considerable chunk of change. I mentioned a week or so ago that K and I are attempting the 100 dates thing (100 dates before the big day! - super early in the works. Don't count on much! ) and a good portion of the ideas on our list are fairly inexpensive. I'm sure we aren't the only couple out there that do dates on a budget, so it would be awesome to get ideas from others, as well!

Our list:

- going for a walk in the evenings
    - making dinner together. We bought a few pretentious cookbooks from Williams & Sonoma and like making fancy dinners together.
    - wine tasting!! [My personal fave.] We have a liquor store in town called Total Wine that does tastings for free. When they first opened, their tastings were $0.10. I know Whole Foods also does tastings fairly inexpensively on Fridays and Saturdays. You're not obligated to buy anything, you usually get a coupon if you decide to buy something, and it's fun to try new wines together!
    - a picnic lunch.
    - a trip to the park. There is a park right down the street from my apartment, and they have a big pond with ducks. We bring stale bread and walk around. There are also paddleboats that can be rented inexpensively, but we haven't done that yet.
    - roller skating! Go back to your middle school days. Hold hands instead of holding onto the railing.
    - bowling. Most bowling alleys have a discount night where you can bowl for under $3/game.
    - movie night. Generally, I don't consider watching a movie to be spending quality time together, but that doesn't mean it can't be. We make a homemade pizza (if you have a Fresh & Easy in your area, their refrigerated pizza dough is like $1.35), get a bottle of wine, and snuggle up on the couch.
    - favorite tv show marathon. If you own your favorite show on DVD, I like this option as well. We get water crackers, goat cheese, pesto, and a bottle of wine (okay, I'll admit it. We're both winos ) and snuggle up on the couch with a plate and all the fixings. Make crackers for each other instead of making your own. If you don't have your favorite show on DVD, check out Amazon on Black Friday. They usually have previous seasons of shows for $9.99.
    - check out your local discount deals. Groupon, Living Social, Enamor, Doozy of a Deal, Snag N Save... there are countless sites out there that offer awesome deals on local stuff. I found my favorite restaurant that way. We have gotten to try new restaurants, gotten an awesome deal on a hotel for our anniversary, a massage class, $3 private dance lessons... if you shop smart, you can get some awesome steals that way!
    - local tourist attractions. Most people's first concern when they move/PCS is getting settled and getting into a routine, as there is limited time to settle in before your man is back to work, which means less time for you to see what's around. Check About.com and see where some of the off-the-wall places are in your area, and go visit!
    - museums. If you are in a large city, you probably have a plethora of museums around. Many/most offer discounts for military, and some have nights where you can get in for free if you are a student, or if you are in the public service field. Check periodically to see if any such specials are being offered.
    - take a day trip / day hike.
    - make breakfast in bed.
    - take a weekend roadtrip. Get out of town and see what's around. Take a tent and some sleeping bags (or a truck and some sleeping bags), or check the discount sites for hotels where you're heading.
    - go window shopping for your future. If you're dating, look at engagement rings. If you're engaged, look at wedding stuff. If you're married, look at houses.
    - check out which builders are having an open house in your area, and go tour homes together.
    - get a papasan chair (that part can be an investment, but it's worth it!) and snuggle up in it to watch thunderstorms/rain/snow/whatever outside on the deck/porch.
    - take old photos of things you have done together and make a scrapbook.
    - check out your local farmer's market together. It's not just food! Usually there is entertainment, and several booths that can give you inspiration for things to check out in your area.
    - play card or board games together.
    - bond over your partner's hobbies/interests. K enjoys skeet shooting. A box of skeet is about $20 and there's a whole afternoon. I like cooking (mostly because I like eating ), hence the cooking together ideas.
    - volunteer together. Find a cause that you both are passionate about and help out another organization in the process!

There are several great online resources as well for planning cheap dates. This is just part of the list I have compiled. Let's hear some of your own!
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  2. Senior Member
    I think you just indirectly called my boyfriend and I cheap-asses...

We have done almost everything on this list several times! But I like being cheap!
  3. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post

We have done almost everything on this list several times! But I like being cheap!
    It's okay; we are too!
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  4. Senior Member
    Oh, and I LOVE Total Wine!
  5. Senior Member
    great ideas-- I think I'm going to con DH into some of them

6. Senior Member
    You and K sound just like DH and I, or the other way around I love a good deal
  7. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    Those are some great ideas! Thanks for posting them!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I copied the list and emailed them to DB. These are all wonderful ideas! DB and I LOVE winetasting.. usually we leave with multiple wine bottles in hand

FaceSpace
    Instagramy Goodness

AmandaA is my wifey-cakes ~ katebugg07 is my mistress

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    Hey, we resemble this remark!!!!

CHEAP-ASSES unite!!!!
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Dh and I love grabbing a pizza and playing scrabble or 20 questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast