Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: How long does it take to fully get to know someone?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6 months or longer

8 8.79%
  • Less than 6 months

0 0%
  • There's no timeline, it's different for everyone

50 54.95%
  • You can never fully know someone

29 31.87%
  • Other

4 4.40%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Fully" knowing someone?

1. Senior Member

"Fully" knowing someone?

Advertisements
    This came up in a thread, and I'm just curious to see how everyone feels...how long do you think it takes to "fully" get to know someone? Some say 6 months, some say longer, some say less, some say it's different for everyone...what do you think and why?
  2. Senior Member
    IT is different for everyone. Some people are so complex and layered othat it takes a lifetime. Then there those people that you can meet and really know them within a matter of days.

Life is a great big canvas, throw all the paint you can at it~ Danny Kaye
  3. Senior Member
    I think it's different for everything and can be situational.. DB and I are getting to know each other over a deployment so it's been waaaaaaaaaaaaay different. Not good or bad, but just different.

My blog: Life, Love, and Lesson Plans My Wedding Blog: Operation: Becoming Mrs. B

I *Kayla*! She's the best wifey and friend in the world
  4. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    Everyone is different

You're going to always be finding new stuff out about your SO....
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wish there was an other option... I do think its different for everyone when it comes to getting to know people well, but I also dont believe that anyone can ever FULLY know someone... People are complex and change constantly.

I have had the same best friend for 10 years and we still learn new things about each other every time we talk, same with DH and pretty much every other person I know. I wouldn't claim that I know anyone (heck, including myself) FULLY.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I wish there was an other option... I do think its different for everyone when it comes to getting to know people well, but I also dont believe that anyone can ever FULLY know someone... People are complex and change constantly.

I have had the same best friend for 10 years and we still learn new things about each other every time we talk, same with DH and pretty much every other person I know. I wouldn't claim that I know anyone (heck, including myself) FULLY.

I've had the same BFF for TWENTY SEVEN years, and have been with DH for 22 years and and while I know them better than most anyone else (and better than they know themselves sometimes), it would be false to say that I know fully know them, nor them me. There is too much thinking, processing and changing that goes on EVERY day to every fully know yourself and others. Heck our subconscious protects us from fully knowing ourselves. Either way... In the more simplistic sense, for military folks, I think it takes a couple years minimum and at least on full deployment or training cycle to "fully" know each other.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  7. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    A lifetime. I've been with DH going on 7 years now, and I'm still learning about him.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post

Is it possible to edit a poll? An "other" or "you can't really fully know someone" choice would be good, I didn't even think of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post

I've had the same BFF for TWENTY SEVEN years, and have been with DH for 22 years and and while I know them better than most anyone else (and better than they know themselves sometimes), it would be false to say that I know fully know them, nor them me. There is too much thinking, processing and changing that goes on EVERY day to every fully know yourself and others. Heck our subconscious protects us from fully knowing ourselves. Either way... In the more simplistic sense, for military folks, I think it takes a couple years minimum and at least on full deployment or training cycle to "fully" know each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    A lifetime. I've been with DH going on 7 years now, and I'm still learning about him.
    These are very good points. I think I would agree that you're always learning things about others and yourself and constantly changing.
  9. Senior Member
    I agree with Pita and Judi. I've been with my dh for 13 years and I believe we are still learning things about each other. I think it would probably be a BAD thing to fully know everything about someone .
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    edited the poll!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast