Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engagement Chicken Recipe

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Engagement Chicken Recipe

Advertisements
    Saw these in Glamour and I am posting the article as well as the recipe for "Engagement Chicken" and "Hook-Him Apple Pie". Thought we could get a laugh out of it, and heck, why not? Serve it up and see if it does the trick. Guess this is one of those urban legends. lol

How to Make “Engagement Chicken”
    First comes chicken, then comes marriage? Be skeptical if you must, but this menu may be charmed.

Back in January 2004 Glamour published a recipe for "Engagement Chicken," so called because soon after staffers whipped it up, their boyfriends popped the question. When Glamour reader Laura Wheeler made it for her guy, she topped it off with her self-titled "Hook-Him Apple Pie." Sure enough , he proposed. Will these recipes work for you? Try 'em and let us know!

Engagement Chicken
    1 whole chicken (approx. 3 lb.)
    2 medium lemons
    Fresh lemon juice (1/2 cup)
    Kosher or sea salt
    Ground black pepper
    Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temp (about 15 minutes). Pat dry with paper towels. Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and outside). Season with salt and pepper. Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity. (Tip: If lemons are hard, roll on countertop with your palm to get juices flowing.) Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more. Test for doneness—a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 180 degrees, or juices should run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork. Continue baking if necessary. Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving. Serve with juices.

Hook-Him Apple Pie: Filling
    8 cups cored, peeled, sliced apples
    1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter a three–quart baking dish. Place apples in large bowl. Combine sugars, cornstarch, salt and spices in a small bowl and pour over apples, tossing to coat. Combine melted butter and lemon juice, add to apple mixture and spoon into baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and cut large vents in foil. Bake 35 minutes, remove foil and stir apples. Cool to room temperature.

Hook-Him Apple Pie: Cream Pie Crust
    2 2/3 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter-flavored shortening
    8-10 tablespoons refrigerated half-and-half
    1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons of water
    Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles small peas. Add half and half a spoonful at a time, tossing with fork until the dough clings. Divide dough in half and roll into two 12-inch circles. Ease one circle into a deep-dish pie plate and add cooked apple mixture. Place second crust over filling, trim the edges, turn under and crimp. Cut vents in top crust. Brush egg and water glaze over center of pie. Cover edges with aluminum foil and dust lightly with sugar. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden, 20-30 minutes more. Let cool before slicing.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I am saving those two recipes
  3. Senior Member
    I probably will make these, even though it's kind of ruining the fun because I pretty much already know he's going to propose!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    lol Same here... I already know DB will propose sometime next year (he hasn't made an effort to disguise his intentions) but... maybe if I cook these for him it will speed up the process! LOL If anything, make your man a tasty dinner some night. =)
  5. Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    I'm gonna have to try this!!

I've been dropping hints like crazy and a few weeks ago DB told me this: Woman! Something in this world needs to be a surprise to you since you need to know everything. And it's my right to surprise you with the style of the ring, when, and the way I'm gonna do it. So stop hinting and stop asking and relax. It's gonna be a surprise.

I don't know what that means. But maybe this chicken will do the trick!
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful
    as expectation of something better tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Tigger_pink is my MSOS wifey JoJoBannana is my twin
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I hope it works out for you!! I'm crossing my fingers! lol He's right, he DOES have the right to those things... we're just trying to speed up the process!
  7. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    haha I'm already married, but I'd love trying new recipes, so I'm making these! Maybe it'll make me a keeper? haha
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    lol They DO sound pretty tasty... I do a lot of cooking and LOVE to bake, but DB is pretty attuned to how I am... I have never made anything like this for a regular dinner. I wonder if he would get suspicious? lol He's a sneaky goofball...

Koolaid, if you make them, let me know how they turned out!
  9. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Mmmmm! That chicken recipe looks delish!
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If anyone makes one or both of these for their men, please let us know how they turned out and what he thought!! It would be kinda fun to see if anyone really got proposed to. Imagine what would happen if ONE girl made this, and her guy actually proposed! lol EVERYONE would be baking chicken!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast