Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting married on Emergency leave?

1. Senior Member

Getting married on Emergency leave?

Advertisements
    My DF and i are planning on getting married this month in great lakes- im planning on going out there at the end of the month. Unfortunately he got a call this morning about the passing of his grandma, and will be coming home on emergency leave. Would it not be allowed to get married while he is here? he is almost done with the first part of his marriage packet, and all he needs to do is submit the chit... any ideas? thanks girls.
  2. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    If he is required to get approval before he gets married and he does it anyway, yes, he could get in trouble. I would suggest he talk to his LPO or Chief and see if they can bump up his approval process a bit.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  3. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    I personally wouldn't, because if his command found out, I'm sure they would be irritated. Like a "Oh yeah, my grandma died, but I decided I wanted to get married instead so thanks for the vacation time!" That's the way it would look to me, anyway.

If you're getting married this month anyway, just wait.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  4. Switzerland
    Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    I personally wouldn't, because if his command found out, I'm sure they would be irritated. Like a "Oh yeah, my grandma died, but I decided I wanted to get married instead so thanks for the vacation time!" That's the way it would look to me, anyway.

If you're getting married this month anyway, just wait.
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I would be really worried that his command would think he was using the emergency leave for reasons other than it was intended. It's for the death of a family member, not to get married. If you're planning on getting married a month from now anyway, I would just wait.

That being said, DH and I did get legally married less than 2 months before our wedding LOL but he didn't take leave to do it and his command was aware of it (even though I don't think they needed to be--but he did have to get off work "on time" one day in order to get there, so he routed a chit just in case LOL). So there were no potential problems. And the reason we did it this way was because he left 3 weeks after our wedding, and in San Diego, you don't get your marriage certificate right away, so we wouldn't be able to go on base and enroll me in DEERS, update his page 2, etc., right away.

If he were just home on regular leave and he wasn't awaiting some kind of "approval" from his command, I'd say go for it. But since this is emergency leave for a death in the family AND he's awaiting approval from his command, AND you're planning on getting married in a month, I think it's a good idea to wait.

Hang in there!! And I'm sorry to hear about your DF's grandmother.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love733 View Post
    My DF and i are planning on getting married this month in great lakes- im planning on going out there at the end of the month. Unfortunately he got a call this morning about the passing of his grandma, and will be coming home on emergency leave. Would it not be allowed to get married while he is here? he is almost done with the first part of his marriage packet, and all he needs to do is submit the chit... any ideas? thanks girls.
    I don't know about the details or if it's allowed etc but in my opinion it just doesn't seem right to use the time he's been given for the passing of his grandmother to get married, not talking from a rules perspective but from a respect perspective...if you're getting married at the end of the month just wait it out, it's really not that far away. Let his emergency leave be for mourning and nothing else.
  7. Senior Member
    Thanks girls, we both feel the same way about not wanting it to look like he was useing emergency leave to get married.. we just kinda thought it would save time and money.. but i agree with all of you, im gonna tell him we should just wait. i know he wouldnt argue with that. all in time.

thanks again
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love733 View Post
    Thanks girls, we both feel the same way about not wanting it to look like he was useing emergency leave to get married.. we just kinda thought it would save time and money.. but i agree with all of you, im gonna tell him we should just wait. i know he wouldnt argue with that. all in time.

thanks again
    Your're welcome! I'm very sorry for your DF's grandma passing

I hope the wedding goes well congrats!