Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Married after bootcamp?

1. Regular Member

Married after bootcamp?

Advertisements
    Okay so DB is in boot camp right now, and he is seriously talking marriage.
    We talked about it before he left, but he thought we were 'too young', now that he is in boot camp, he doesn't really care, which I'm happy about, because I really don't care about our age.
    We have been together for such a long time, and have had tons of ups and downs with our family, so I know it's right.

But has anyone gotten married right after boot camp? He has 10 days leave, and we could do it in those 10 days.
    Or after his MOS schooling be better? Although after his schooling I don't know what kind of leave he gets.
  2. Senior Member
    DH is Army and we did it after AIT & Airborne school... before he PCS'd here to Fort Bragg. He actually came here first, got everything settled, then I brought up the rear 2 months later.

I would suggest you either do it after basic or after schooling.

When they go to a new duty station they have to do oodles of in-processing paperwork... changing his marital status, adding you as a dependent, enrolling you in TriCare, enrolling you in DEERS, etc. all being a part of that. It's just a lot simpler to do all of that at once right when he arrives and in-processes rather than after he's been there done that, KWIM?

Of course if it doesn't work out that way, then it doesn't. But this would just be a way to make life simpler.

Maybe other bases are different and get things done much smoother, but it took DH a good while to get everything changed and settled after we got married. The TriCare office here at Ft. Bragg was a complete zoo
    Last edited by Nicole!; 08-25-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Added more
  3. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyg View Post
    Okay so DB is in boot camp right now, and he is seriously talking marriage.
    We talked about it before he left, but he thought we were 'too young', now that he is in boot camp, he doesn't really care, which I'm happy about, because I really don't care about our age.
    We have been together for such a long time, and have had tons of ups and downs with our family, so I know it's right.

But has anyone gotten married right after boot camp? He has 10 days leave, and we could do it in those 10 days.
    Or after his MOS schooling be better? Although after his schooling I don't know what kind of leave he gets.
    If he went from "we're too young" to "let's do it anyway," I would imagine it's probably because he's hearing about the extra pay he'll be making and wants to go for it. I personally wouldn't want someone who didn't want to marry me until he heard that he might get some money out of it.

If you're going to go for it anyway and you plan on moving with him to his first duty station, you would need to be on his orders in order for the military to pay to move your things. He will get his orders in MOS school. So if you aren't married by that time, it's on your dime.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    DH is Army and we did it after AIT & Airborne school... before he PCS'd here to Fort Bragg.

I would suggest you either do it after basic or after schooling.

When they go to a new duty station they have to do oodles of in-processing paperwork... changing his marital status, adding you as a dependent, enrolling you in TriCare, enrolling you in DEERS, etc. all being a part of that. It's just a lot simpler to do all of that at once right when he arrives and in-processes rather than after he's been there done that, KWIM?

Maybe other bases are different and get things done much smoother, but it took DH a good while to get everything changed and settled after we got married. The TriCare office here at Ft. Bragg was a complete zoo
    Yeah all the paper work was what he was worried about. All bases are probably crazy with paperwork because I'm sure they are having tons of people getting married or needing things changed.
    So hmm, we will probably just do it during the 10 days leave, so that way he will have plenty of time to get everything straight.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    If he went from "we're too young" to "let's do it anyway," I would imagine it's probably because he's hearing about the extra pay he'll be making and wants to go for it. I personally wouldn't want someone who didn't want to marry me until he heard that he might get some money out of it.

If you're going to go for it anyway and you plan on moving with him to his first duty station, you would need to be on his orders in order for the military to pay to move your things. He will get his orders in MOS school. So if you aren't married by that time, it's on your dime.
    lol, sorry I summarized it A LOT. it wasn't just simply like "we're too young" and then to "let's just do it"
    I was having a lot of family problems, and we were fighting more because of it, so he just said maybe we were to young. But during boot camp, he has realized why my family problems hurt me so much and why I was so angry with my parents, basically he grew up a lot and now he knows that our age really doesn't matter. It's not about money at all.

Yeah, in boot camp, he can't do all this research on everything, so that's why he's asking me to check out everything and see when the best time is.
    I've read about the whole moving thing, his recruiter told me about that part.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post

That's a good thing to keep in mind also.

That was part of the reason why I had to wait a bit before moving here.
    A Team
    Blog Entries
    Hmm I personally feel waiting would be a better option. DB and I have been together for over 4 years. I know of a lot of people that get married soon after basic, but as previously mentioned why the sudden change of interest? I just feel that if you two are meant to spend the rest of your lives together, a couple more months (or a year to plan things) of waiting wont be a damper in your life.
    This girl is gearing up for ANG!

islandxgirl:My bestie, my love, my wifey since 06/22/11
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    That's a good thing to keep in mind also.

That was part of the reason why I had to wait a bit before moving here.
    Did you move on base or off?
    or do you mean the move was just super expensive in general?
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson_heart07 View Post
    Hmm I personally feel waiting would be a better option. DB and I have been together for over 4 years. I know of a lot of people that get married soon after basic, but as previously mentioned why the sudden change of interest? I just feel that if you two are meant to spend the rest of your lives together, a couple more months (or a year to plan things) of waiting wont be a damper in your life.
    We were going to wait, but I live in south FL and he is going to be in NC. We'd never be able to see each other. He and me both just doesn't see the point of being apart since we do love each other.
  9. Senior Member
    Did you move on base or off?
    or do you mean the move was just super expensive in general?
    We originally had a house on base... but it was awful so we now live off

The Army paid for our move. But in order for the military to do that you must be on his orders first. Had we just paid for the move out of our own pocket and not waited for me to be added to DH's orders, it would've been pretty expensive.
  10. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    We were going to wait, but I live in south FL and he is going to be in NC. We'd never be able to see each other. He and me both just doesn't see the point of being apart since we do love each other.
    You don't know where he'll be until the end of MOS school. So if he's telling you for sure he'll be in NC, he's confused. Just an FYI.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast