Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Wedding?

1. Senior Member

Cruise Wedding?

Advertisements
    What do you all think of having a wedding on a 5 day cruise? Ever since I thought of that I am absolutely in love with the idea! DB (hopefully future DF after deployment) also thinks its a great idea. It is WAY cheaper than a more traditional wedding too.... and it would last 5 days instead of a few hours! Ahh! I think it's so cool!

Anyone have experiences with cruise weddings?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I would think it would be more expensive to pay for the cruise for everyone than it would just a trditional wedding

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    I would think it would be more expensive to pay for the cruise for everyone than it would just a trditional wedding
    Typically, the couple does not pay for the guest's cruise. Its usually just close family, and they pay their own way.

OP, I knew a girl who did this in January, and she loved it. Its a good way to have a "no fuss" wedding, because the majority of the set up/planning is taken care of for you; you just choose from options of what you want.

I always recommend cruising. We loved it, and will cruise again soon.
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I think it's a great idea--but be sure that this is either something your family can afford (if you want them there) or that you can afford to take the people you really want to be there with you.

Also, don't be offended if there are people you'd like to be present but they can't afford to go (or can't take the time off work, etc. etc.). That would be my only concern. Sometimes people have destination or cruise weddings and then are upset when people can't attend and it causes drama. As long as you know who you want there and that the most important people will be able to swing it--go for it! I'm SURE it would be awesome!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Pilot's Princess
    Pilot's Princess
    Yea I think it depends on how many people you want there. I was actually disappointed when 2 of my close friends got married on a cruise, but in the middle of grad school, I couldn't exactly spend that money to go, so I missed out But if the people you truly want there can spend the money, go for it! There would be so much to do and lots of fun outside of wedding festivities. And that is true that much of the planning is taken care for you,
  6. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I think it's a great idea, but what about your guests? That would be my main concern.
  7. Junior Member
    I thought it was cool until I learned that the ceremonies are done before the ship ever sets sail. I just didn't see the point of bothering to have a tightly scheduled ceremony possibly minus people I really wanted present where I would have to give up most of the things I wanted because they weren't in the package that I could afford.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  8. Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    I was in a cruise wedding in June. It was interesting because the first stop we got off the ship and you went straight to the location of the wedding and then got married. There are all kinds of things you have to consider. (1) hair/makeup (2) having your dress there (3) not ever actually seeing your location etc etc. We each paid our own way. We were 2 to a room so it was about $400 a piece. They did the wedding at the first stop, which was key west, so people that weren't able to make it on the cruise could drive/fly.

Here's the catch, though. If you get married ON a cruise, then your entire wedding party is on your honey moon. Including your in-laws. From what I understand there was a little bit of an issue of people saying "hey lets do this and that" etc and they were like "uhhh honeymoon". We had planned to only see them at dinner and the after show, but the newlyweds were on the same floor (right next to) the brides mother and entire family and they didn't understand the honeymoon part.

What I would suggest as a possible alternative is maybe doing a Sunday start cruise, get married at your departure destination (if you want a destination wedding) either Saturday or Sunday morning, and then get on the cruise with you husband. Then you don't have to deal with the "crowded" honeymoon.
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful
    as expectation of something better tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Tigger_pink is my MSOS wifey JoJoBannana is my twin
  9. Senior Member
    As far as guests go, I figured out my guest list for a more traditional wedding and it was only 35 people, including family. (I'm so popular ) As far as DB goes, he is not close with a lot of his family because it is so huge and he also just has a few close friends and a few AF buddies. So I don't think guest would really be an issue. His best friend is in college and tight on money but we already decided that if he couldn't go we would foot the bill for him to go. My parents already told me how much they'd give me toward a wedding (also our wedding present) and the cruise budget uses about 2/3 that amount which would then let us have some money left over to put in the bank.

And yes, everyone would pay for their own cruise, but I would definitely make it clear that no presents would be necessary. I know some people would still buy us some but I really would try to push no presents because I realize it would be more expensive for everyone else.

As far as having the wedding "right when you get on the ship", my mom actually had a really good idea. She said that maybe we could get married in a court house before we got on the cruise and then had a ceremony on the ship later in the evening before dinner. That way we wouldn't have to get to the ceremony straight away. I would have to talk to the cruise line, but I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do that since we wouldn't actually be getting married on the boat, and they would still be getting their money.

Also about having people on our honeymoon, we would actually take a separate honeymoon other than the cruise. Since we would have left over money from what my parents are giving us, we would have enough to take a separate honeymoon! So the cruise really would be 5 days of a reception! Wahoo!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    sounds like fun!!!! hope it all works out!

I <3 Thirty-One! Summer Catalog is here! Ship to APO/FPO Join my team today!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast