Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Wedding experiences?

1. Senior Member

Help Cheap Wedding experiences?

Advertisements
    Well my DB and I have been together for almost a year and a half and we seriously are talking about marriage. I already have a ring picked out and everything! He just got deployed over 6 weeks ago and so of course in all of my spare time and boredom I have been thinking about wedding possibilities and so has he. I suggested eloping, or, what I consider to be my best idea - get married on a cruise with our closest friends and family there. The only problem with that is I am pretty sure he wants a real wedding (even though he hasn't said it, he has strongly hinted). I am totally game for that but we're obviously not loaded with tons of money and I DEFINITELY do not want to go in debt for a few hours of fun.

So far with the research I have done, places are incredibly expensive to rent and food is outrageous. I am pretty sure we would have a winter wedding with really short notice. Do you think it's possible to whip up a wedding in about 2-3 months under $10,000? (preferably under $7,000 so we could have a nice honeymoon)

Maybe I'm not your typical girl but I don't care if it's big and fancy, I just want to marry the love of my life, have a ton of fun and remember it forever!

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by a3dayeventer2009 View Post
    Well my DB and I have been together for almost a year and a half and we seriously are talking about marriage. I already have a ring picked out and everything! He just got deployed over 6 weeks ago and so of course in all of my spare time and boredom I have been thinking about wedding possibilities and so has he. I suggested eloping, or, what I consider to be my best idea - get married on a cruise with our closest friends and family there. The only problem with that is I am pretty sure he wants a real wedding (even though he hasn't said it, he has strongly hinted). I am totally game for that but we're obviously not loaded with tons of money and I DEFINITELY do not want to go in debt for a few hours of fun.

So far with the research I have done, places are incredibly expensive to rent and food is outrageous. I am pretty sure we would have a winter wedding with really short notice. Do you think it's possible to whip up a wedding in about 2-3 months under $10,000? (preferably under $7,000 so we could have a nice honeymoon)

Maybe I'm not your typical girl but I don't care if it's big and fancy, I just want to marry the love of my life, have a ton of fun and remember it forever!

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome!
    aww the last part was the sweetest and how i am too, I'm also getting married, he is proposing to me on r&r and i can't wait for this wedding. I have a year to plan since he is in afghan but we have a 10,000 and under budget, i hope you find something with your budget.
  3. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

It's possible.

DB and I are doing a JOP wedding, having the reception in my best friend's back yard, and doing everything we can ourselves -- the decorations, invitations, etc. So far, we've only spent 270 and that was for the dress
  4. Senior Member
    It is 100% possible.... I had a wedding with 200+ guests and my total was around $6000. It was a very classy wedding and everyone still talks about what a good time they had. ( If you want photo proof of a decent wedding on that budget I can send you photos let me know). It is a lot of work on your part but you have time on your hands so work away!!!

Lets get some basic info here and I am bored to death every night I can help ya out....

Colors?
    How many in bridal party?
    What religion or is this going to be a non denominational(sp?) wedding
    How many guests are ideal
    What kind of food do you want to have?

Lets start there.....
    ~Lace~

There is enough youth in this world, can we get a fountain of smart??
  5. Senior Member
    Ya know looking back at things there is only one thing I would of changed about my whole wedding / reception - paying 2 photographers for more pictures!!!
    ~Lace~

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lace View Post
    It is 100% possible.... I had a wedding with 200+ guests and my total was around $6000. It was a very classy wedding and everyone still talks about what a good time they had. ( If you want photo proof of a decent wedding on that budget I can send you photos let me know). It is a lot of work on your part but you have time on your hands so work away!!!

Lets get some basic info here and I am bored to death every night I can help ya out....

Colors?
    How many in bridal party?
    What religion or is this going to be a non denominational(sp?) wedding
    How many guests are ideal
    What kind of food do you want to have?

Lets start there.....

Colors: I think I want to do just black and white or maybe black white and blue.
    Bridal Party: probably 6 total
    Religion: none
    Guests: about 125-150
    Food: Just good food lol
  7. Senior Member
    O and did i mention OPEN BAR??????
    ~Lace~

8. Senior Member
    First get yourself a good printer a really good one. Its an investment so its worth it...
    Print your own invitations pick a saying that represents you and your DH and the feel of your wedding ... Mine was "Today I marry my best friend" That was the anchor for all of my decorations, cake topper, invitations, favors, gifts for parents everyone.
    Oriental Trading is going to become your BFF until after the wedding anyway LOL They have aisle runners engraved champagne glasses, bubbles the works.. check em out great prices

My Bridal Party was 8 4 guys 4 girls.... So you are close to what I had.....

Print your own invitations. Go to your local craft store and get invitation kits... they come with invitation and envelope some even have the RSVP cards. ( I bought a pack of blank post cards for my RSVP cards) Print all your invitations then invite your bridal party over to address them all. This gives you a chance to talk about all the other details and have a good ol' girls night LOL. Instead of using postage stamps for the RSVP post cards take them to the post office and they will stamp them for you costing you less on postage. $$$$ saved!

Colors hmmmm pretty basic so thats easy... Craft store AGAIN watch their clearance stuff I didn't buy anything for decorations / flowers / tables that was not on clearance. You can find a ton of flowers, tull, lace, pearls, and do dads in black and white.

Do your flowers on your own.... You can practice with flowers over and over buy a few extra bricks of styrofoam practice and figure out what you like best then make them your self.

Unity Candle - My maid of honor bought mine. I asked her to pick out and buy mine. She was so excited I asked her to pick it out she didn't blink at buying it!!

Rings - My original ring and his original ring together probably cost 700 total. ( of course mine took up 600 of that he he!!) We upgraded later when we had the money.

Church - I didn't go to church so I asked my Grandma about hers.. She happened to be active in church so the church only charged me for the pastor. $$$ saved!!!

Gown - I got mine at Davids Bridal. This was my Moms contribution to the wedding she paid for my dress instead of getting me a gift. Even if I would of bought it myself Davids does a layaway program and my dress was on clearance for $700

Suit - He is military he gets his suit for free!!!

RECEPTION!!!

Location - Your husband to be is in the military.... Do it at your local american legion. Because he is military you get a huge discount. I can't say what yours will charge you but mine was like $800 for the hall. They will want to cater it because that is where they make their money... I did half and half for the catering, I let them make the chicken and one other thing and it cost me $5 per person I then found a cute tea shop that also catered in my town and had them make the food... Obviously food took up a huge part of my budget and she charged me $5 also I had chicken, green beans, ham, potatoes, corn, and something else I can't remember... ha ha must not of been too good

Honestly the ceremony is what is the most important but you and everyone else will remember the reception a whole lot more. Most of your $$ is going to be spent there..
    Food, cake, DJ / Band, Photographer, transportation, centerpieces, favors, booze....

Transportation - everyone pays all this money for a limo....WHY?? You are in it for what MAYBE a total of 1 hour? No way.... I rented a white van from enterprise and paid a friend of my mother in laws $75 to drive it and fed him he was totally happy. Not to mention we had a drunk wagon for everyone when it was all done and no one drank and drive... extra bonus

Photographer - This is my only regret... I wish i would of got 2!!!! I have tons of pictures and I thought i wanted one type of photographer but I totally wanted something else when I got the pics. Not that anything is wrong with the photos i have. I actually have all the negatives and can copy mine at will.. HA HA! The key to getting good pictures at reasonable prices is find your self a photographer who is trying to get into the business.. google it... go to your local art school and talk to the instructer about upcoming graduates or recent graduates. You will get a ton of pictures in exchange he will use your wedding in his album at a HUGE discount. My photographer ( was two guys a new guy and his teacher!) was at my wedding and most of the reception and he only charged me $400. I have over 800 photos with all my negatives, cds and an album. I made all the copies for the family but I had the family tell me what they wanted and then I told them how much they cost...

Cake - Cake is kinda the centerpiece of your wedding it is important. I was going to get sheet cakes to feed the people at my wedding but my Grandma was appauled! She insisted I get a traditional cake.... SO we compromised. Instead of paying for this huge cake we got a small very detailed 3 teir cake and had sheet cakes to serve. I am glad I got the cake now because so of my fav pics are around the cake. Because my Gma was so insistent on the cake I asked her to pay for it as my wedding gift.... WALA $$$ saved!!

DJ - DJ's really are not all the expensive but you can still save some money... There are tons of DJ's out there trying to make it just ask around. They have all the equipment you can give them a list of do's and don'ts and save some money... Everyone knows someone who is an aspiring DJ just ask your local newspaper may even have some looking for work....

Centerpeices - Keep it simple... Mine were candles with a mirror under them and some rose petals. Nothing great elegant and simple.

Favors - I went and bought a huge bag of tea light candles (I still have some!) ribbon, tull, and some nice paper. I printed out little tags with my weddding saying and the little picture from my invitation our names, the date, and thanks for sharing our day. I bought a heart paper punch and a pair of scissors for cutting jagged edges cut them out, punched them wrapped a tea light with tull, wrapped with a ribbon tied on the tag and Wala! Cute custom favor. For the bridal party and family I ordered engraved champagne glasses from oriental trading that we toasted out of and they kept them. Nice keep sake for family especially.

Cookies - My Gma and Aunt always make the best christmas cookies they made them for me in my wedding colors and theme... easy peasy

Wishing well for cards - I ordered it from oriental trading and was not real happy with it so I spruced it up with beads, lace, and toole it did the job and after the wedding what the hell are you suppose to do with that thing anyway?

I am leaving stuff out... Question away because I just passed 5 year wedding anniversary and I can't remember that long ago.. he he
    ~Lace~

9. Senior Member
    OHHHH the most important thing.. Open bar ...

I happen to at one time work as a bartender. I knew the owners well infact they were guests at my wedding. I did not ask them to donate the alcohol instead I asked them to purchase it for me. Bars pay whole sale a lot less than you do so you get a break in price we had 2 kegs and the basics for liquor vodka, gin, tequilla, rum and a few mixers. I did have Captain Morgan because thats what my DH drank. Boxed wine in white and red. Only family and those with a champagne glass did a champagne toast everyone else just toasted with their free beer or booze... after all it was free.... and not many people like champagne any way!
    ~Lace~

10. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Definitely possible. Some of it depends on where you live. Our wedding was under $10K here in San Diego. It wasn't big but our immediately families were there as well as some local friends. Obviously if you have a lot of people that's going to up the cost a lot.

A couple of options are to have a mid-afternoon wedding so that you can just serve hors d'oeurves (sp?) rather than having to serve a full dinner... you can cut back on liquor costs by just serving beer and wine vs. having an open bar, etc. We did dinner (including hors d'oeuvres and champagne toast)... but it was buffet style which was cheaper than plated dinners--but it was still very nice.

One thing that saved us a ton of money is that we used the catering and facility on base... it was wayyyy more reasonable than any of the places out in town, especially on the beach. I know that not everyone is planning on getting married near a military base though LOL.

Here are some of my wedding pics if you want to see:

Beth & Brandon
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast