Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage Retreats....

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Question Marriage Retreats....

Advertisements
    My husband is turning in the paperwork today in order for us to attend next weekend's marriage retreat. We've never been on one, and I was wondering if anyone else here had done this before in order for me to know what to expect. Below is the email:
    The Tyndall AFB Chapel is hosting a 'Marriage Care Retreat' for 25 couples
    on Friday evening and Saturday morning, 18 - 19 June 2010. Retreat is for
    military members who have recently returned from deployment or are deploying
    in the near future, and their spouses.
    The Marriage Care retreat will be led by an Air Force Family Life chaplain
    and Tyndall AFB Chapel staff. Retreat topics covered in three seminar
    sessions are designed to provide couples an opportunity to strengthen their
    marriages.

All I know is that I'm 'ing that it really does help us.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

2. Senior Member

Sounds like a step in the right direction...
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    DH and I went on one...and had a blast.

His unit is a bit, well, different maybe than other army units; they actually paid for a two night/3 day stay at a beautiful four or five star resort, all meals included, and had the retreat there...it was neat, b/c the classes didn't take up too much time, and they were really interesting/we enjoyed them, and there was plenty of time to spend just together either working through the workbooks from the seminar, or just hanging out...

DH was a bit moody before it, thought it would be kinda dumb, etc. etc...but totally got into it (i.e. c'mon buh-my nickname- let's go do some of the workbook exercises!)

We still have the materials, and look at them from time to time (they actually passed out this really great sheet, it was at least a few single spaced pages of every kind of like/dislike/favorite thing you could think of to ask someone, so you could fill them out, trade with you spouse, and it provided a "reference" anytime they want to do something nice for you...i.e. what kind of chocolate like best, favorite movie, yada yada yada...)

Have fun!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decks89 View Post
    Sounds like a step in the right direction...
    Decks, it is a retreat to help the married couple. It is not a retreat FROM marriage where you get to go with a bunch of girls and dring Capt and Cokes all weekend!

I've never been on one, and wish we would have before kids. There's no time for a "retreat" now, lol. I hope you guys enjoy and bond and grow closer.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    Decks, it is a retreat to help the married couple. It is not a retreat FROM marriage where you get to go with a bunch of girls and dring Capt and Cokes all weekend!
    I've never been on one, and wish we would have before kids. There's no time for a "retreat" now, lol. I hope you guys enjoy and bond and grow closer.
    I want one of those as well you know. But my girlfriends here are attached to their husbands hips. Agh I miss my girls from jersey!
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Y'know, at least one of the retreats that group has put on in the last six months or year actually had childcare on site...I think they booked the resort/hotel, and then an extra room or two for the (certified) childcare to watch the kids, and parents could leave them there either just during the seminar, or whenever they wanted some alone time...if you're involved in your FRG or know anyone who is involved in planning the retreats, that might be an idea to bring up.
  7. Starting over...
    Starting over...
    dh and i went on one a couple months ago, and it was awesome!! we have 2 kids and one on the way, and that weekend was the longest we had been without children since we met 3 and 1/2 years ago.

we actually separated in december (very bad, very ugly... ugh) but decided in february to try to work things out, and this helped us so much. i thought we had good communication before, but apparently i was wrong. we both learned a ton and had a fantastic time, and we've been doing better ever since. praying it goes well for you, too!

I will do what God asks me to do; I will give God what I cannot do; and no matter what, I will trust the Lord.
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1
  8. "Never regret anything that once made you smile"
    "Never regret anything that once made you smile"
    I really want to do one of those!
    My friend did one with the Army and she loved it. They paid for the whole thing. Part of the day they did group activities and couples stuff to help with communication and stuff, kind a like a therapy session. But they also had lots of free time to just spend together and relax
    I hope you have a good time!
  9. Senior Member

I'm out then.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I can't find any here.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast