Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Being a marine gf

  1. Regular Member
    VAchick's Avatar
    VAchick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    156
    #1

    Being a marine gf

    Advertisements
    Hi Ladies I just started dating a marine and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice and just tell me your personal experience on how hard it is to date a marine.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    honeybun's Avatar
    honeybun is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    7,288
    #2
    There really isn't a general bit of advice that I can think of. Every marine if different. DB is the third one I have been in a serious relationship with and because he is a marine he's really really lucky we ever got together. Every marine I met before him was exactly the same, he calls it "motto". In fact, right after we met I told him the fact that he's a marine made me very hesitant and he swore to me if I gave him a chance he would prove to me he was not a "typical" marine a hundred time over (and he did). Your relationship depends more on him as a person and you as a person rather than what his job is, because that's what it is, a job. It's a BIG job and a BIG commitment as far as jobs go, but still just his job not who he is.

    BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  3. Senior Member
    Gingersaurus-Rex's Avatar
    Gingersaurus-Rex is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,164
    #3
    It's all pretty different.
    I've been with DH since he was enlisted, reserve, active and now officer.
    I feel like we've been through it all, except deployment.

    When we first started dating he was a Corporal on Reserve duty due to being a full time student. Even then we only saw each other a few weekends every few months. He went to the Citadel and they have curfews and most times don't let them have weekend leave.

    The summer before he graduated he went to OCS, which is like mini-boot camp for officer candidates. I didn't receive any correspondence from him for 4 weeks. Other than the phone call to say "I'm here, I love you...talk to you when I can."

    We got engaged when he graduated OCS. He had one more semester of college after that.

    We decided to go active duty after that an in January he moved to Columbia to be with me and go PTAD at a reserve unit until his TBS Company picked up. We were dirt poor and went through the most difficult point of our relationship here. We honestly didn't know if we would make it. We became stronger because of it though.

    TBS picked up end of May. We got married JOP style. I graduated college and got my first nursing job.

    He was in Quantico, VA until Christmas break. Went to MOS school in Pensacola for 3 months, didn't see him at all.

    He then got stationed at Camp Lejeune, where he stayed until we had our big ceremony the beginning of this month.

    I FINALLY moved in with him for the first time about a week ago. Haha...it's hard.


    But it's worth it.
  4. Regular Member
    VAchick's Avatar
    VAchick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    156
    #4
    Hi littlemiss my marine already told me from day one he was like i'm not like other marines i'm not gonna sit here and try to hurt you. Right now were close to each other maybe 2o minutes away but once i go back to school we'll be like 6 hours away from each other. I've done long distance in the past but at the same time i'm still scared to do it again .
  5. Regular Member
    VAchick's Avatar
    VAchick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    156
    #5
    Hi uscsemperfi thank you for sharing your story with me my marine is actually currently in quantico right now and he will finish out there. I'm grateful to have him close to me right now but once august rolls around i'll be 6 hours away from him back at college. I've never dated a guy thats in the service so I'm hoping that things go smoothly and I know i'll have my bumps in the road and the days that I really miss him. But I know in the end it will be worth it.
  6. angedusoleil07's Avatar
    angedusoleil07 is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Me: Chicago/ Him: "Caliganistan" :(
    Posts
    10,145
    Blog Entries
    5
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemiss View Post
    There really isn't a general bit of advice that I can think of. Every marine if different. DB is the third one I have been in a serious relationship with and because he is a marine he's really really lucky we ever got together. Every marine I met before him was exactly the same, he calls it "motto". In fact, right after we met I told him the fact that he's a marine made me very hesitant and he swore to me if I gave him a chance he would prove to me he was not a "typical" marine a hundred time over (and he did). Your relationship depends more on him as a person and you as a person rather than what his job is, because that's what it is, a job. It's a BIG job and a BIG commitment as far as jobs go, but still just his job not who he is.
    My ex had a brother who was a Marine and he prided himself on the fact that he was a raging a$$hole who could make anyone cry. DB knows him and says he is nothing like him (I've known DB for so long) and wants to mend my broken heart (I've been burned so many times before) and be what other men failed to be and do what other men failed to do. It all depends on your guy But through think and thin, you will see MSOS ladies will be here for you
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    honeybun's Avatar
    honeybun is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    7,288
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by VAchick View Post
    Hi littlemiss my marine already told me from day one he was like i'm not like other marines i'm not gonna sit here and try to hurt you. Right now were close to each other maybe 2o minutes away but once i go back to school we'll be like 6 hours away from each other. I've done long distance in the past but at the same time i'm still scared to do it again .
    The long distance issue is one that will remain the same with almost all military relationships. It is not for everyone, but my feeling is that if you love them and are up to the challenges of spending frequent and/or lengthy times apart, it makes your relationship more than worth it! I know we appreciate the time we spend together more since we have to go through separations.

    BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  8. Regular Member
    VAchick's Avatar
    VAchick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    156
    #8
    Thanks angedusoleil07. My baby isn't a total asshole he's really sweet which is what attracted me to him but i'm just hoping I dont come to find a big asshole part of him later on that turns me off from being attracted to him. I know what your talking about though when your talking about a marine being really stuck up and an asshole.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    honeybun's Avatar
    honeybun is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    7,288
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by angedusoleil07 View Post
    My ex had a brother who was a Marine and he prided himself on the fact that he was a raging a$$hole who could make anyone cry. DB knows him and says he is nothing like him (I've known DB for so long) and wants to mend my broken heart (I've been burned so many times before) and be what other men failed to be and do what other men failed to do. It all depends on your guy But through think and thin, you will see MSOS ladies will be here for you
    I know one guy in DB's company who actually gets women to fall in love with him, and pretends to be in love with them just for fun, like a game. I also dated a guy like that once. It really pisses my DB off to listen to him brag like that, but he says it only reaffirms his belief that he's a better person than them and that he's doing the right thing. I once saw them get into quite a heated discussion about it.

    BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  10. Regular Member
    VAchick's Avatar
    VAchick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    156
    #10
    thanks little miss
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •