Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living on Base

1. Senior Member

Living on Base

Advertisements
    Hey...
    So I'm just curious, what's it like to live on base? I'm not sure where this goes but yea! :S And how often do people live on base versus off base if they are married? Does anything change when you get married? Just curious!
    -Lucy
  2. Senior Member
    I guess it depends on what's better for a particular family. We live on post and like it. It's just like living in an apartment complex to me

3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

we live onbase because it is cheaper than living ofbase. It really depends on the family. I know people here that love living off base and wouldn't live on, and the opposite. We prefer on as we feel a little more secure than living off especially when DH is away or working nights.

4. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    DH & I prefer living off base and will always try to live off base.
  5. Senior Member
    We live on post and love it plus it save us a lot of money here.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by chmille View Post
    Hey...
    So I'm just curious, what's it like to live on base? I'm not sure where this goes but yea! :S And how often do people live on base versus off base if they are married? Does anything change when you get married? Just curious!
    -Lucy
    Dont know about living on base, but like others said it may be more cost effective to live on or off base depending where you are. As far as the differences if you are married or not, you cannot live with him (most of the time) on base if you are not married, off base he can live with whoever he wants.
  7. Senior Member
    How much cheaper is it to live on base versus off base?
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

That really depends on where you live, how many are in your family ect. Eg. We have 5 (soon 6) in our family and for us to get a decent 4/5 bedroom offbase would cost more that our BAH in rent and then we have to pay utilities, etc on top of that. However, a couple with no kids could rent a 1 bedroom apartment for half the BAH and the rest will go towards bills and savings.

9. Senior Member
    i have lived both on and off post. There are always pros and cons to both. The cost depens on where you live and your bah rate. Like in Hawaii it was cheaper for us to live off post but we had a big house with like 5 roommates, but in Germany we will be living on pst b/c our bah rates when way down.
  10. Regular Member
    That's going to depend on what kind of place you want, where you live, how many kids you have...

We have 3 kids and a dog and we pay 1600 for our 4 bedroom base house. A comparable place in town would probably run us 2200 or more when you take into consideration utilities. His work is closer also, so it cuts down on commuting costs.

However, if it were just my husband and me with no dog, we could probably get an apartment for 1000 off base, utilities included. On base, this same couple could get a 2 bedroom place and pay the same amount as my husband and I for our 4 bedroom place.

We've found it's more cost effective to live on base when you have a smaller family and no pets to consider.

As far as what it's like, that's going to depend on what kind of base you're on. We lived on one base that's really small and basically exists to train the people of a certain field. Everyone in my neighborhood pretty much worked in the same place. It was kind of awkward at times because we all pretty much knew what everyone was doing, career wise, and naturally the gossip was kind of unavoidable.

Here the base is much bigger and I don't live near anyone that my husband works with. Much nicer, actually.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast