Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Parents and military

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Parents and military

Advertisements
    Hey yall so i want to know what your parents thought when you brought back a military boy. also if you were engaged or married young what did they say, support or nonsupport?

I am the youngest of four and i love my DB we prob are getting engaged soon as on he keeps on bugging me about my ring size and he is going overseas soon.

My brother got married at 27 and my sister is 32 and getting married this summer. both my parents got married young divorced and them married each other around 30. I am 20 and my DB is 22 we are very close and love each other unconditionally. However, my parents are such a huge question.

any suggestions. they know i am dating him but they dont know about the military or deployment i think they would disapprove of our relationship completely.

hmm what do u all think?
  2. Regular Member
    My parents were fine with me bringing home DH. They didn't think we would stay together if he deployed because I am one to always have people around me. When I told them we were getting married they flipped out. I was 19 him 21 they said wait a few years blah blah blah but we said no and go married 8 months later on r&r. Eventually they got to Tue point that they are just like its to early but you did it so its whatever and are happy. We have an amazing marriage and everything is perfect, if you love each other as much as you think and you both want the same things in life and believe your perfect for each other and he's the only one for you do it! They will get over it and eventually respect your decision it just might be tough at times while they are getting.g used to it!
    Good luck
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I was with DH before he joined. Plus both of our parents (his and mine) are retired military. So military part wasn't a big deal.

but OMG did my parents try every single trick in the book to brib me NOT to get married. But in the end they still threw me a beautiful wedding.They supported me even though it wasn't what they wanted for me. I was 18 at the time, and I'm now 20 and expecting our first baby any time now.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. wherever i am, you'll always be.
    wherever i am, you'll always be.
    I knew DH before he joined, so did my parents. The military part wasn't a big deal- except my parents being worried about me being so far from home.

My parents got married kind of young, my mom was 21 and my dad was 23. When Scott and I got married we were 25 and 23 respectively, so age wasn't an issue either. My parents have come to terms with the fact that DH is going to be career military, and while they don't like us living so far away (we're overseas right now) they are happy that I'm happy. I'm lucky that they are so supportive.
  5. Senior Member
    While what my parents thought would have been irrelevant in my choice they didn't care because my family is a military family. Like many generations. The military is just how we roll. So they of course were ok with DH being military. But we got married before they even knew about him lol.

And I didn't get married young. I was closer to 30 than 20 when I married DH.
  6. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    My parents had their concerns, well more like they are dreading me leaving England but we plan on settling here. They were and are very supportive. I honestly did not know how they would take the news though. They love DH like a son though so that helps, they know I'm in good hands
  7. Senior Member
    My parents here fine because dh is my brothers best friend and they met while they were training. Some of my other family had issues because he isn't Italian but everyone thought it was great he was in the Military.
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n24/Tacchino/officerMoose.png

I love my lil sister Nora!
  8. Senior Member
    My mom actually has more respect for DF bc he is in the military than any other boyfriend I've had... Or my ex husband for that matter....

I was 18 when I first got married and my ENTIRE family was against it.

I'm 25 now and DF is 28 so no one butts in like they would when I was 19 or 20. They just worry. My mom still worries now bc of my two boys from my first marriage. She does not however, make my decisions. I do.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Songer View Post
    My parents were fine with me bringing home DH. They didn't think we would stay together if he deployed because I am one to always have people around me. When I told them we were getting married they flipped out. I was 19 him 21 they said wait a few years blah blah blah but we said no and go married 8 months later on r&r. Eventually they got to Tue point that they are just like its to early but you did it so its whatever and are happy. We have an amazing marriage and everything is perfect, if you love each other as much as you think and you both want the same things in life and believe your perfect for each other and he's the only one for you do it! They will get over it and eventually respect your decision it just might be tough at times while they are getting.g used to it!
    Good luck

Yeah i think that's how my parents are going to be they will support me and my decision i just want to have a dream wedding and i know they want that for me too my sister and my brother both are having and had JOP's like weddings my sisters is getting married abroad in switz not in the military though and my bro had a small wedding party of event of about 20. I want a real wedding and i think they are counting on me having one I know my mom wants to pick out the dress with me. hmm i think the military thing will be okay in the end. I think at the end of the day my parents love me and will support me its just the initial reaction is going to be worry some i have never had a lasting LDR let alone a lasting relationship. So we will see i want to survive deployment first is that a bad idea?
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by lillie View Post
    My parents had their concerns, well more like they are dreading me leaving England but we plan on settling here. They were and are very supportive. I honestly did not know how they would take the news though. They love DH like a son though so that helps, they know I'm in good hands
    Thats awesome they love him like a son, i think my dad will love him. Having two older sisters i have seen lots of boys come in and out of my house and heard the conversations my parents have about them mostly they want a christian man obviously because my dad was a youth pastor and they want a mans man one that can sit down and watch football. They want someone who treats their daughter right and my babes certainly Does that!!! So all of these qualities my baby possesses i think that will make it easier. I know him and my brother will get along too which is key because right now my sisters man and my brother are really close like brothers, my poor brother is stuck in the middle of three girls so he has been praying for the moment there wouldnt be just 4 women well 5 if you count his wife, so i think that will be okay. I think that since my siblings waited they might have a problem with it too ahh... we shall see
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast