Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The things people say...

1. Junior Member

Duh The things people say...

Advertisements
    So i went home over the weekend and some comments were made to me that I would like input on about how to take them...

First off, I am a junior in college. All throughout high school I didn't really do the whole "serious" relationship thing and didn't really have much interest in it during the first part of college. But that doesn't mean that I didn't get involved with guys or have experiences with the opposite sex... I just didn't feel like having a relationship just to be in one was the route for me to take. I typically dance to the beat of my own drum... even when other people think that I am crazy! ;-)

Anywho, about 6 months ago one of my really close guy friends and I decided to take the step and be in a committed relationship... I could NOT be HAPPIER! I am so thankful that I waited until I was ready and actually found the right person before putting my heart on the line...

HOWEVER, comments have been made that I am just not sure how valid the points are...

FOR INSTANCE...

I went home this past weekend and I was "gossiping" with my Aunt's and told them that one of my medical students ( I work as an office assistant at a Medical School) had asked me out on a date...

once I told them that I declined... they were appalled... I got comments like... why did you tell him no? your boyfriend is in Iraq, you shouldn't have to miss out... ARE THEY SERIOUS!!!!!! AND one of my Aunt's said that I couldn't put all of my eggs into one basket by throwing my life away on my first love... WHAT?!!!

I'm sorry but there are some people that get it right the first time... am I "silly" for believing in what we have? because I don't think so....

grrrrr I just get so frustrated with people sometimes...
    I get to live in the land of the free, because of the brave!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    oh my gosh....well you have to think of it from their point of view.

My parents and grandparents were always like "well you're not married, you shouldn't mope around the house".

I just don't think they understand you kwim? They see it as "dating" or having a "boyfriend" not as a serious thing.

Maybe you should try telling them you're going "steady". I told my grandparents and they just laid off...immediately.

Now all they ask about is DB
  3. Senior Member
    umm, i think that was totally ridiculous for your aunt to say to you and i would be very upset with that...if you love him, you love him, and there is nothing that matters besides that

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  4. Senior Member
    Ignore them. Some people just have no tact! Good luck with your relationship! Stay strong and follow your heart!
  5. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    OMG! thats crazy. if that were the case so many people in the military would still be single. follow your heart and forget what other people say.
  6. Junior Member
    hmmmm yeah they were very supportive until this weekend and I don't really know what to make of it... they recently helped me get to Germany to visit him and were all gung hoe about it... and while I was there DB gave me the cutest gesture of a promise ring...and my Aunt made a comment about that, too... like what did you promise? does a promise ring mean that all dates are out, cause that would be lame... and she was talking in the whole "i'm joking, but not really" tone of voice... i'm just really annoyed by it all, i guess... and I feel like i'm doing a good job of being supportive of the DB while he's away and I would expect other people to drag me down... but not my OWN family!! grrr I just wanna pull my hair out sometimes..... *venting*
  7. Junior Member
    thanks for all of the support =) my heart has lead me in the right path so far, why give up on it now???? some people just aren't lucky to know true love when they see it :-)

you gals r the best! thanks a ton! sometimes we just need that pat on the back to keep on truckin' ;-)
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    uuuum, no. one should not go on dates with other men just becasue their SO is overseas!!!!!! DH would be seriously pissed if I had ever done that when we were dating. You did the right thing in saying no. Especially since you sound very happy in this relationship there is no reason to do anything that might jeapordize that happiness. And at your age, you seem to have made the decision to wait longer to get into romances and what not which appears to have worked in your favor. I see nothing wrong with being with your first love, as you sadi yourself, you have had other experiences with the oppostie sex, even if you hadnt, I love the storys where people are with their first love a million years later. i hope everyting works out for you and I think you did the right thing in saying no to the date offer
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Maybe they are just in denial that it's serious?

Parents NEVER think anyone is good enough for their children, especially when it comes to a daughter/neice/granddaughter.

As sad as it is to say, my parents will never think DB is good enough for me. It's just something that you will also experience when you have children (so I've been told).

But, your family WILL learn to be happy for you It just takes time honey
  10. Junior Member
    well thanks for the well-wishes and I plan on making this a first-love story come true with its very own happy ending :-) (minus the ending lol)
    some people need to knock on all of the wrong doors before finding the right one... and others know what the door looks like before even needing to knock...

probably a hard analogy to follow... but it works for me lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast