Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to be near DB

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Moving to be near DB

Advertisements
    Ok. So DB is stationed in a different state. We have been making do with visits as often as we can pull it off, and lots of talking and texting on the phone, im, emails, etc. At this point, we're getting pretty serious. Right now, it's coming up on time for him to find out if he is about to PCS or if he is staying where he is currently. When something is definite, I will be looking to move to be near him (unless a miracle happens and he gets stationed near where I live). Has anybody eve done this and have advice for how to find a job in another state and all? I've never done a big move like this so if it ends up happening, I'm going to need lots of advice and support... thanks ladies!
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    Ok. So DB is stationed in a different state. We have been making do with visits as often as we can pull it off, and lots of talking and texting on the phone, im, emails, etc. At this point, we're getting pretty serious. Right now, it's coming up on time for him to find out if he is about to PCS or if he is staying where he is currently. When something is definite, I will be looking to move to be near him (unless a miracle happens and he gets stationed near where I live). Has anybody eve done this and have advice for how to find a job in another state and all? I've never done a big move like this so if it ends up happening, I'm going to need lots of advice and support... thanks ladies!

I wouldn't consider moving until you know for a fact that it is a serious relationship. With that said; once you find out where his next set of orders at then you can just contact that city's chamber of commerce for information. What field of work are you in? Realtors are also a wealth of info if you contact them for "possible relocation" information, ect...

I wish you the best of luck!
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    I wouldn't consider moving until you know for a fact that it is a serious relationship.

I moved to another country! I don't have a job though. We're just going off of one income for right now. I volunteer here and there until I do find work.

As far as moving to another state, you can check out city listings, Craigslist, Monster, Yahoo Jobs, etc.

It's hard to help until you know where you're moving you, you know? I wish you luck though!
  4. iheartwaffles
    I moved from the west coast to the east coast. It was hard, but once you know where he will be stationed search online for apartments (if you aren't moving in with him). Get the city's newspaper online and look in their section with open jobs. Do your research and you should be fine. Once you sign a lease where you live, you can then go get your new drivers license. Things will honestly fall into place. It may not be overnight, but youll get there. let me know if you have Qs!!!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    I wouldn't consider moving until you know for a fact that it is a serious relationship.
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly constitutes knowing for a fact that it is a serious relationship?

Edited to say, what exactly would YOU say constitutes that?
    Last edited by Cornbread; 07-06-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: ETA a clarification of what I meant
  6. Senior Member
    Also make sure your okay with the chance of living in a new place by yourself.....You never know when he could get orders to deploy or go to training etc.. I've learned that nothing in the military is a sure thing so just be prepared that something could change without a lot of notice. I just moved down here a couple of months ago after DH came back from deployment and I am having a tough time finding a job because they know that my husband is military so there isn't a chance of a long term commitment and I don't have experience in this state. Also there is already talk that we could be getting PCSed to South Carolina this fall even though he isn't suppose to relocate for another 2 years.....Just know that anything can happen in a military life
    * My heart came home to me on May 6, 2008 *
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it's great you want to relocate with your DB, a lot of people do that. I would definitely make sure you're at a point that you feel like you're committed for the long term, because you don't want to move to some place away from anyone you know to not have it work out. Personally, I told now-DH that he needed to give me an incentive if he wanted me to follow him around the country and give up my good job. He read between the lines and proposed before he got to his first duty station.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by kt*hed View Post
    Also make sure your okay with the chance of living in a new place by yourself.....You never know when he could get orders to deploy or go to training etc.. I've learned that nothing in the military is a sure thing so just be prepared that something could change without a lot of notice. I just moved down here a couple of months ago after DH came back from deployment and I am having a tough time finding a job because they know that my husband is military so there isn't a chance of a long term commitment and I don't have experience in this state. Also there is already talk that we could be getting PCSed to South Carolina this fall even though he isn't suppose to relocate for another 2 years.....Just know that anything can happen in a military life
    Very good point! We moved here in January, he left in February for training and he deployed in April. So I'm all alone 14 hours away from family. It's definitely a possible scenario that you will have to be by yourself without him and not be able to rely on his BAH since you aren't married.
  9. what is meant to be will always find it's way :)
    what is meant to be will always find it's way :)
    db and i were long distance too for about a year when he moved from nc to cali and i had to finish my last year of grad school. We visited and all that too and i just moved out here to Cali about 3 weeks ago, so if you have any questions or anything feel free to pm me. Its a big decision and a "leap of faith" i know how ya feel!
  10. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, but currently in Oklahoma City.
    i moved from ohio to va to be near db about 3 weeks ago. and i looked up jobs on careerbuilder.com snagajob.com monster.com and etc..i found plenty of jobs!! =]] the move was scary but well worth it! good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast