Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I've Caught My Aunt in an Affair

1. Senior Member

I think I've Caught My Aunt in an Affair

Advertisements
    I've been staying at my Grandma's for the past few days and last night I got on the computer. I went to Gmail to check my email, and when I did, it was already signed into another account. There were a few emails in this account and they were all from the same man. I read one that had already been opened to see who's account this was, and it turns out it's my aunt's. The account had just been opened Friday.
    My aunt and uncle have been having problems for the past 6 or 7 months. They have 3 kids (11, 9, and 3) and they're in their early 30's. I read things in these emails that make me suspicious that my aunt is having an affair. She tells this man that she can only check her email from her office or her mom's house. He talks extensively about how it's going kicking his wife out. My aunt tells him to use *67 when he calls her, and that he may have to get her a phone but that they'll see how things go. They reminisce about sitting on a balcony together in Cabo (where my aunt's family recently spent 3 weeks on vacation). He says he may have to come kidnap her because he doesn't know if he can make it long without her. Whenever she referred to my uncle, she only types "R" rather than typing out his full name. The emails don't come right out and state that they are having an affair, but why else would she be keeping this man secret?
    I don't know what to do. Should I confront her? Then I think I'm going to be the hated niece. I called my Mom last night freaking out, but she doesn't know what to do either. She wants to tell her Mom (my grandma) because her and my aunt are close and then let them deal with it.
    Any advice on how to deal with this? I'm so angry at her for ruining her family like this. But then again am I jumping to conclusions?
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know...that was certinely an invasion of her privacy to read her e-mails then form a conculusion. I think you have to tell her (the Aunt) what you did and take it from there. It is really a matter between her and her husband. JMHO.
  3. sydneesmomma18
    I Think its pretty obvious something is going on.... i would confront her...but the relationships i have w/ my aunts I could do that comfortably.
  4. Senior Member
    I know it was an invasion of her privacy, so I'm sure she's going to be mad at me. But it was a slip-up on her part for leaving herself signed into the account. Instead of going to the gmail sign-in page, it automatically opened her account when I typed in the website since she didn't sign out.
    I'm not very close to my aunt. She's not someone I would open up to, so I really don't know what to do.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would stay out of it. It wasn't your place to read the emails even if she left herself signed on. eck. I don't get how people cheat.
  6. I love dress whites!!
    I love dress whites!!
    I think you should talk to your aunt, but I wouldn't reccomend accusing her of anything. Let her know what you came across while you were reading her private e-mails. Also IMO I think It was wrong for you to tell your mom without discussing it with your aunt first.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Maaaaaaaybe I'm a terrible person, but I'd print them and leave them in the printer at your grandparents' house...
  8. Senior Member
    Wow that has you in an uncomfortable spot.

I do agree that it probably wasn't right to read her emails, but what is done is done.
    Needs work.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ewww yuck - that's a pretty sticky situation to be in. Honestly, I would confront her and just tell her what you found and see what she says. She has no need to be all defensive or "hate" you unless she has something to hide.
    Banned
    My first thought was "I'm sorry say what?"

My next thought is "Snoopin' is triflin' behavior and you will never like what you find".

My final thought is "It's her marriage let her wreck it. Butt out".

I personally feel you don't have the right to do anything with this information because nothing prompted you to snoop other than your lack of respect for someone's privacy. If she'd been acting dodgy that'd be one thing but this is not the case. So...yeah. You're stuck.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast