Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: To Marry or Not To Marry...

1. Missing him dearly
    Missing him dearly

To Marry or Not To Marry...

Advertisements
    Hello all!
    So here's my question, i'd just like to know some opinions from experienced women. My DB and I have been dating straight for almost 4 years. Before I left to study abroad (I'm a full time student and left 2 weeks before he goes to boot camp) we were dressed to the nine's and had a priest for an elopement. However at the last minute, we talked about it and both agreed that we wanted a real, traditional wedding with family and friends in attendance. We both are undoubtedly sure that we will be married eventually and spend together forever, however we don't know if it will really behoove us to get married sooner than later (aka after i graduate in 2 years). Are the benefits of marriage really a motivator to get married sooner? Like I said, we are ready, we just want to be smart about it in regards to our education and all. Thank you!!!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    not sure what "benefits" you are talking abou, but in regards to military... yes, it's better if you're married. You could then use millitary medical insurance, and military benefits as a spouse. I don't think anyone can make that type of decision for you but you and him. If you 2 are ready to be married and willing to make that committment to each other, then I don't think that the fact you are in school should stop that from happening.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  3. Robby'sGirl
    This is a really great question. I am interested to see the other responses.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    not sure what "benefits" you are talking abou, but in regards to military... yes, it's better if you're married. You could then use millitary medical insurance, and military benefits as a spouse. I don't think anyone can make that type of decision for you but you and him. If you 2 are ready to be married and willing to make that committment to each other, then I don't think that the fact you are in school should stop that from happening.
    Completly agree.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Honestly, it depends on the people and the relationship. Obviously you're committed to each other and have been, but are you ready or need to take the legal step? Personally, I wanted to wait til I was out of school to work and save up for the wedding myself so I wouldn't depend on my parents for it... but I don't really know how to answer your question.
  6. Missing him dearly
    Missing him dearly
    thanks for the responses! Yes by "benefits" i definitely mean in regards to military benefits!! I do understand this is a personal preference but I guess what i'm asking is in your own opinion, would you wait until you were done with school or take the legal step (because of course we feel committed to each other, paper or not). Thanks again!