Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taking his name, confusion/decision

1. Senior Member

Love taking his name, confusion/decision

Advertisements

My own situation... We haven't set our date yet, but this is already on my mind and I'm starting to face confusion/difficulties/decisions.

To me, it is important to take his name. I really want that and to me it means a lot to do that, so that is for sure an important part of what will be my name. That's not going anywhere.

In my line of business, the name is important, I'm linked up with another person in my business (my father to be specific) and our "firm" name is Our-Last-Name Associates. So, I really need to keep my last name in my name at that point too.

So, at this point, it would seem to make sense to keep my first name, make maiden name as a middle name and then take his last name. BUT, I have a confusion here too. I go by a nickname to my middle name. I have NEVER gone by my first name. Since the day I came home with my parents, it has always been Addie (which is short for my middle name). So, if I take away my middle name then there's even more confusion about why I go by Addie.

I could in theory, I guess, drop the first name, but I feel like that is another complicated level to the name change that may or maynot be an easy process. I don't want to over-complicate this thing.

I don't really know what I'm looking for you all to say, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas here, let me know.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    You could always hyphenate your last name....
    Example your last name-his last name
  3. Regular Member
    Why don't you drop your first name, use your middle and your first, your maiden as your middle, and then take is last name as yours?
    I think thats the best idea so you keep the name Addie is short for and then get both last names.

My cousin just married a lawyer and she just kept her name as is but the children have his last name. That's always an option.
  4. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    i would hyphenate the last names.
    Banned
    You could go by your current name professionally and go by his name personally.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i hyphenated my last name...my maiden name-his last name, I didn't want to give up my middle name or even my last name especially because it will mean changing alot of papers...so I just kept it as it is...Ds has two middle names..one of them is my maiden name because my dad insisted since it was the first grandson that we have the name there too...
  7. My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    NoVA/He's on a boat right now, but stationed in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedbeauty View Post
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You can have 2 middle names
  9. DvlDogGal104
    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedbeauty View Post

People have professional names and personal names. I think that way, you'd get everything that you'd wanted. You could keep your middle name and take his last name, while professionally, everyone will know you as they always have. Celebrities do it all the time. You could be a SUPERSTAR!!!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My ideas are to hypenate the 2 last names, use your maiden for your professional reasons and his as your personal, or add your maiden name to your middle name but keep your current middle name so you would have 2 middle names.

Good Luck hun and Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast