Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ok, another ring question...please help!!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Ok, another ring question...please help!!

Advertisements
    I posted this in "kill this thread" but wanted to get some input, I know not everyone pays attention to that thread because it's so huge...but here goes...

....I want SOOOO BAD to buy dh's wedding band right now...but I'm scared SHITLESS....because it's titanium. Everytime I get him a size 11 it's too big, so his last ring was a size 10 and it fit perfectly. But for some reason I'm scared if I buy a size 10 it's going to be too big/too small and I won't be able to return it because it'll be after the 30 day mark when I see him, and you can't resize titanium. And I want to have it engraved before he sees it too . It's at overstock.com and there's only 3 left

Also I was wondering, if anyone has any knowledge about tungsten carbide rings...I've read they're strong and CAN be resized?? Are they better than titanium??
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    You CANNOT resize Tungsten Carbide rings!!!!

I, honestly, would order it from like Kay's WITHOUT the engraving!!! If it fits, then engrave it. If it doesn't fit, then exchange it for the size that fits him best.

I know how it is to surprise one with a ring. For Tungsten rings, you'd generally need a smaller ring. Say he normally wears a 10, then you'd need like a 8-9. It's best to have his fingers measured at the jewelry store.

But you can definitely exchange the ring for a different size if you bought it at Zales or Kay's!!!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i bought a tungsten carbide ring for dh, you can't resize them, but I bought a lifetime guarantee with the company so if he ever grows out of it, I can send it in and get a new one

4. Senior Member
    Try this....Its a ring sizer. You can have him print it out and size his finger that way it closer in size to what you were going to get.
    http://www.atlantisring.com/free_ring_sizer.aspx
  5. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by letgo0527 View Post
    I posted this in "kill this thread" but wanted to get some input, I know not everyone pays attention to that thread because it's so huge...but here goes...

....I want SOOOO BAD to buy dh's wedding band right now...but I'm scared SHITLESS....because it's titanium. Everytime I get him a size 11 it's too big, so his last ring was a size 10 and it fit perfectly. But for some reason I'm scared if I buy a size 10 it's going to be too big/too small and I won't be able to return it because it'll be after the 30 day mark when I see him, and you can't resize titanium. And I want to have it engraved before he sees it too . It's at overstock.com and there's only 3 left

Also I was wondering, if anyone has any knowledge about tungsten carbide rings...I've read they're strong and CAN be resized?? Are they better than titanium??
    I woulden't get a tungsten ring. From what we've been told is that it can't be cut off in an emergency like gold can. We were told they can be cut at the hospital, but id rather have the ring be distroyed than his finger...
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacc View Post
    I woulden't get a tungsten ring. From what we've been told is that it can't be cut off in an emergency like gold can. We were told they can be cut at the hospital, but id rather have the ring be distroyed than his finger...
    Can a Tungsten ring be cut off?
    Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where there might be a medical necessity to cut off or remove a tungsten ring-
    -for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc.,--removing a tungsten ring doesn’t pose much more of a challenge than cutting through a gold or platinum wedding band. In our own jewelry shop, as in many other jewelry shops, we have a cutting tool designed for cutting titanium and tungsten wedding bands. In addition, tungsten bands can be fractured into pieces using vise-grip pliers. When we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to remove tungsten wedding bands in an emergency, they told us that most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and assured us that it would be no problem for them.

During our 30 years of jewelry repair experience, we've only seen a dozen or so rings that have been cut off in hospital emergency rooms, and in most of those cases the rings had been bent out-of-round and were putting painful pressure on the finger. Tungsten rings will not crush or bend out-of-round, so if you shut your hand in a car door or drop a heavy object on it, a tungsten wedding band is likely to fracture into several pieces and fall off your finger freely. You might be safer wearing a tungsten ring than a precious metal band! Nonetheless, check with your local jeweler or medical facility if you have concerns.

http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/tungsten_rings.html
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think i'm gonna stick with titanium then. I'll just try to hold off until next month...i get so anxious though!!