Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think? I'm perplexed!

1. Senior Member

Confused What do you think? I'm perplexed!

Advertisements
    So DB and I have been talking about getting married for quite sometime now. We are not formally engaged and he is in Iraq at the moment. We were talking the other day and he said that he deffinatley plans on proposing very soon after he gets back and would like to marry me before the end of the year if I think that I can get everything the way I want it to be by then. He asked me the other night to start thinking about what I want. So whoohoo that makes me very happy.

So heres my question, We live in GA, ALL of our family except for my sister (she lives here) lives in VA. Is it exceptable to expect our family to travel to GA for the wedding? Or would it be more appropriate for us to plan it in VA? I really would like to be able to have hands on participation in it and feel that if we have it in VA I will have to leave alot of the planning to his mother. I'm not sure....What do you think? (Side note... his mom and mom are both bit on the dramatic side...really a pain in the but!! LOL)
  2. Senior Member
    i would say have it wherever you want. they'll come to it if you have it in GA, but if both of you are from VA, there might be an emotional side to having it there.

Whatever you want.
  3. Senior Member

Hello

Well, I say have it where ever you want! But to go along with tradition, if you so choose to have it away from your immediate family, it's customary for you to cover all costs of them coming out to the location. Friends and extended family members are not expected to be paid for. So depending on how much you'd actually like to spend will eventually determine where you'll have it...

BUT IM SO SO SO SO EXCITED OR YOU!!!!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Michelle View Post
    Well, I say have it where ever you want! But to go along with tradition, if you so choose to have it away from your immediate family, it's customary for you to cover all costs of them coming out to the location. Friends and extended family members are not expected to be paid for. So depending on how much you'd actually like to spend will eventually determine where you'll have it...

BUT IM SO SO SO SO EXCITED OR YOU!!!!!!
    Hmmm good point!! Thanks!! I'm really excited and glad that I got the "go ahead" to start dreamin up what I want!
  5. Senior Member
    You should have it wherever you guys want to have it! It's YOUR wedding and family members should understand that this day is all about YOUR life, not there's.
    We are actually going through a similar situation with my sister's wedding planning...and it's making us........just make sure you stick to what you want and don't worry too much about everyone else. They'll understand. If not you can always..
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Congrats! Both me and fiance's family are from Delaware. But I am trying to plan our wedding in California! I want to get married on a beach and with an outdoors reception. And since we want to get married in Dec/Jan... you can't really do anything outside in the winter in DE. Hahaha. And we are moving to CA when he gets back from deployment, so we are just oign to get married there. And if family doesn't come cuz it's in Cali... then I don't care.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I say if you want it in GA then do it there, It's your wedding and if they want to experience it and be apart of it they will travel!
    You make it the very best day you want and dont plan it around anyone elses wants but your very own
  8. Senior Member
    First of all, congratulations!!! But as far as where to have the wedding, I think that depends on what you feel is best. If it is more convienent for you to have it where you are now, do that. If you would rather have it at 'home' then do that. I am having mine at 'home' even though I don't live there right now and he isn't from there and he is across the country. You need to do what is best for you and enjoy this wonderful time in your life.

*Thank you Valarie!!*

9. It's the most wonderful time of the year!
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!
    Congrats! My hubby and I had our wedding in Louisiana. My mom lives there and his family and my dad live in Oklahoma. I had my mom take pics of places to have it. Then I went there and saw the ones I like from the pics and chose. I bought my dress where we were living. I made a couple of trips back home to decide and make decisions, but my mom and sis were a big help. You can choose where you want to do it. We did it back home because we wanted everyone to be there for it. It's your day...you choose where you want it and if they want to be there they will.
    Smile as if you don't have a care in the world,
    Love with your whole heart,
    And laugh as if it is going out of style.
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks guys!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast