Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: new spouse checklist

1. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%

new spouse checklist

Advertisements
    http://www.milspouse.com/?p=15

New Military Spouse Checklist · by Echo

While all newlyweds witness changes, military couples may face more than the average share. While they are making the change from single to married life, a new spouse may also be juggling a long-distance move, a job search, and a sudden need to learn 800 new acronyms. To make the process a little easier, here is a checklist for new spouses.

Some general advice applies to anyone who gets married, particularly if you have changed your name:

·Get two or three certified copies of your marriage certificate. You will need them to make most of these changes, and may need to mail them as proof of your marriage.

·Update your driver’s license. Some states require military spouses to claim residence in the state where they live, not it the sponsor’s home of record.

·Change your name with the Social Security Administration. For forms, click here.

·Update bank accounts, insurance policies, and credit cards. Consider having your new spouse add you to his accounts so that you will have access when he is deployed.

·Update wills and a power of attorney, or have them drawn up.

·If necessary, change your name and address with the post office and others.

For someone marrying a service member, there are additional steps to be taken:

·First, some things to remember when you are filling out paperwork or answering questions. Your sponsor is your spouse, the service member. When you are asked for a social security number, it is almost always your sponsor’s. If they want your social, they will ask specifically. “Last four” means the last 4 digits of your sponsor’s social.

·Your spouse will need to enroll you (and any children) in DEERS before you can sign up for anything else. You will need a copy of your marriage certificate and your driver’s license. At the same time she can choose to add you as a beneficiary for her life insurance. Spouses are also eligible for insurance for about $10/month. Click here for details.

·Obtain ID cards for yourself and any children 10 or older.

·Register your car and get a window sticker. You will need your registration and proof of insurance.

·Your spouse should go to Finance to update his pay status. This will increase both his base pay and housing allowance if you are living off-post.

·Register with Tricare (your health insurance), usually at the hospital on post. Click here for Tricare information.

·You can sign up for dental coverage through United Concordia. This is available for a monthly fee (also about $10/month). Click here for details.

Most of all, take the time to enjoy being with your new spouse!

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Good info.

Thx
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%
    Thanks for posting that checklist! When me and my dh got married I felt a bit overwhelmed with all the different paperwork we needed to fill out and things we needed to get done. Knowing that there are alot of people that have already done these things makes me feel better though. There's alot of information out there.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%
    Thank you for posting the info.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%
    That is great info! When we got married we had 48 hours before he was leaving so we had to run around and do everything we could in one day.
  6. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%
    Great info!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what I’ve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and that’s all I need

7. Army Wife... The Silent Ranks...
    Army Wife... The Silent Ranks...
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%
    That is very helpful especially for the ladies with an active duty man.

~*~Charity~*~
  8. Not afraid to be lonely, but I still wanna learn about love.
    Not afraid to be lonely, but I still wanna learn about love.
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    89.51%
    Thanks! This will be VERY helpful to me!