Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Big Question About BAH While Apart!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hello Big Question About BAH While Apart!

Advertisements
    I'm married and my husband and I are stationed in Washington. He is attached to a ship and will be going out to sea a lot before he actually deploys. I have a medical issue that is temporarily preventing me from working. I have no friends or family here and since he's going to be gone so much we're both thinking I should move back home to California where there's a school program that isn't available here (that will help me in my dream career) and where I have family and friends.
    What we're wondering is if he goes and stays on the ship, will I still get BAH even though I won't physically be with him? If so, I know that the pay will be for the area I'm in and of course they wont pay for me to move there or anything like that. I'm just wondering, in this situation, will I still get BAH if I move back home and he goes to stay on the ship? Or with what we're wanting would he be able to apply to get his own room? Thanks!!
    *** Please reply if you've experienced what I'm talking about
    Last edited by MarissaRose; 06-26-2017 at 12:40 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaRose View Post
    I'm married and my husband and I are stationed in Washington. He is attached to a ship and will be going out to sea a lot before he actually deploys. I have a medical issue that is temporarily preventing me from working. I have no friends or family here and since he's going to be gone so much we're both thinking I should move back home to California where there's a school program that isn't available here (that will help me in my dream career) and where I have family and friends.
    What we're wondering is if he goes and stays on the ship, will I still get BAH even though I won't physically be with him? If so, I know that the pay will be for the area I'm in and of course they wont pay for me to move there or anything like that. I'm just wondering, in this situation, will I still get BAH if I move back home and he goes to stay on the ship? Or with what we're wanting would he be able to apply to get his own room? Thanks!!
    The BAH will be for the area that HE is stationed in Washington, and not where you move home to. The rest is a case by case basis. It sounds like you're wanting him to get a free room AND BAH, and that usually doesn't work that way. Since he's married they technically don't need to provide him with a room.

For example, they wouldn't give my husband a room for free while we were waiting a few months for a house on base to become available. Theu were going to make him pay for each night and, at his rank, a month in the barracks would cost more than a month of BAH.

Most people who geo-bach by choice have to find 2 cheap places that they can split their BAH to cover the cost of both rents.

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    So he wouldn't be able to take the bed assigned to him on the ship and me get the BAH?
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    The BAH will be for the area that HE is stationed in Washington, and not where you move home to. The rest is a case by case basis. It sounds like you're wanting him to get a free room AND BAH, and that usually doesn't work that way. Since he's married they technically don't need to provide him with a room.

For example, they wouldn't give my husband a room for free while we were waiting a few months for a house on base to become available. Theu were going to make him pay for each night and, at his rank, a month in the barracks would cost more than a month of BAH.

Most people who geo-bach by choice have to find 2 cheap places that they can split their BAH to cover the cost of both rents.
    Little different when the service member is attached to a ship. Geo-Bach sailors that have to live in a barracks, usually pay a daily rate. .

OP, your husband will get BAH for where he is stationed, regardless of where you live.
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

As far as moving home, does that mean living with family? If it does, I don't recommend it. It sounds great in theory, but for me, it was a nightmare. My husbands first deployment, I went "home" and was miserable. His second one, I stayed in CA, even though I had no friends in the beginning and was so much happier! I made friends by putting in effort, I learned about my city, I was able to work and have hobbies.

I don't know, I just really learned a lot about myself when I stayed in San Diego. I learned to be so independent those 8 months and time really went a lot faster the second time around.

When I went home, I had like nothing going on, but everyone I went back to see, family and friends, had everything going on. It was fun for the first month or two, but I quickly because bored. I was only going to be there another 6 moree months or so. I found it hard to want to get a job, knowing it'd be short term. There wasn't much time to actually go to school and accomplish anything. I was just there and everyone else was just busy with their lives, rightfully so.

That's just my experience. Even if you're going to rent your own place, really, really think about it.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't matter if he goes on an underway, deploys or is home, he will continue to get BAH. It will also be for where he is stationed, not where you are. There are exceptions and he could see if he could get it changed to where you move but I would not count on it. We have done the Geo-Bach thing and we got BAH for where he was stationed.

Not sure where you are but we're in WA and if y'all are where we are, I'd be nervous to move and then move back since it can be challenging to find a place. And you'll be competing with everyone else that left for deployment and is moving back, those just arriving to the area, and everyone else that is already here but moving places. Not sure if you're planning on moving your stuff there or leaving it here in a storage unit. Obviously leaving it here will be cheaper but you still have to figure in the cost to move it there and monthly fees. And then to move back you're looking at either moving your stuff or moving it out of storage which again, there is a cost. If you know people that'll help for alcohol and food then that would probably be your best bet. Also, look into any fees if you're breaking your lease. And if you're in housing, definitely check on this, but last I was told you could not move out and then back in. Also, there is always the pain of which is moving is. We're in the thick of it now, it sucks and we have the Navy packers and movers. Is that really something y'all want to do right before he deploys and then again right before/after he gets back? It will cut into the time y'all have together to just enjoy before/after not being together for months. Of course, if you're staying there moving back here will not apply, or at least not as soon.

For his own room, he can apply for a barracks room when he gets back but they have to save them for those they have to house so there is no guarantee he'll be approved. And if he is, he will be charged if y'all are getting BAH. He can just stay on the ship in his rack though. Now, I don't know which ship he is on but DH is an officer on a carrier and shares his room with someone else.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He may be able to live on the ship
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    He can probably stay on the ship, and get BAH at the dependents rate for the location of his duty station, not the location you choose to go to.

A lot of the answers you are going to get for this question are going to be people assuming that living in the ship is basically the same as living the barracks. It isn't, so be careful with well-intended advice from someone giving you info that is correct for a situation that seems the same--living the barracks and having a spouse live elsewhere-- but isn't. Ship living is often different than barracks living, and can *sometimes* be a "free" place for the service member to live, while still keeping BAH for dependents.

His best bet is to ask his command these questions, however. Also, keep in mind that you will need to move all your stuff out of your current home and store it somewhere (or move to to CA< and then potentially move it back to WA when it is time to move again, or maybe pay for the difference is moving from CA is more expensive than moving from WA) if he's living on the ship and your are a couple States away. Again, he needs to ask his command as they will know best the particulars.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski